Locking unlocking car via door handles doesn't work

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
bryfly48

Post by bryfly48 »

My Karoq has today started to fail to unlock or lock when using the door handle, both sides of the car, using either of my two keys, but the doors will lock or unlock by the buttons on both keys, anybody had this problem and is there an easy fix?

Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

First try new batteries. Some say Panasonic work, and people have had issues with cheap batteries. Use 2032s, even if your current batteries are 2025s.
IanW

Post by IanW »

I think the problem was low charge on the vehicle battery , https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/5 ... r-handles/
bryfly48

Post by bryfly48 »

Cheers IanW, appears to have cured it going for a long run, now today not Working again, guess the freezing weather doesn't help
KenA

Post by KenA »

This concerns me a bit as this was one of the problems I've had with my current Grandland X. During the first year with this I had lots of battery problems with car going into ECO mode. This mode was to reduce items in use to save the battery. I was totally unaware of this and found the stop/start did not work, radio would shut down when parked. I even had a flat battery a couple of times. My dealer told me I was not driving the car enough. I'd never come across this comment before. The AA told me that if you do a lot of short local trips the battery charge will gradualy reduce. The answer was to fit an AGM battery disigned for stop/start systems and for for someone who do more local driving.
This topic features a great deal on the Vauxhall Grandland X Forum.
After fitting an AGM battery all my problems went away. Vauxhall customer services would never admit there was a battery problem.
IanW

Post by IanW »

This concerns me a bit as this was one of the problems I've had with my current Grandland X. During the first year with this I had lots of battery problems with car going into ECO mode. This mode was to reduce items in use to save the battery. I was totally unaware of this and found the stop/start did not work, radio would shut down when parked. I even had a flat battery a couple of times. My dealer told me I was not driving the car enough. I'd never come across this comment before.
It's a common problem across many manufacturers. In the attempt to reduce the CO2 figures for vehicles, charging systems reduce the output of the alternator, thus reducing the load on the engine and gain a 'gnats' reduction in CO2. The system is configured to maintain a minimum state of charge on the battery of say 80%, once this is reached then the alternator output drops to almost a trickle charge, so unless you do long journeys then the battery never gets fully charged. In addition, if the battery charge drops too much, then systems are shut down to maintain sufficient to start the vehicle (hopefully!). I used to have a Ford Focus which suffered the same 'feature', in the 3 yrs I had it. stop/start only ever worked for about 24hours after a long journey. There was lots of talk about it on the Ford forums and eventually someone discovered how to change the target 'state of charge' using publically available diagnostic software. Changing it from 80% to 95% solved the problem completely!. Seems like this is more difficult on VAG vehicles and (presumably) other manufacturers.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post