Headlight adjust - Europe

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Survey

Post by Survey »

Routemaster1 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:10 pm Many cars, even those with ordinary halogen lights, do not nowadays have a 'kick-up ' to the left on the dip beams, and as such do not need beam defectors or tape, no matter what Eurolites say. Many cars have a beam hight adjuster, so you can lower the beams to avoid dazzling. And remember, the law doesn't require you to fit adjusters, just to not dazzle. As the majority travelling abroad will not be travelling at night, most will only need to worry about tunnels and bad weather. I travelled with both my C4 GP and our C3 without any defectors and had no issue.

Hi Routemaster1. Appreciate all that you state. Spoke to a guy on Skoda 'chat'. But he typically didn't know and has referred to somebody else who will contact me and I'm still waiting. Skoda's response is 'your dealer should know' which again is typical passing the buck. I'm amazed at how little Skoda and their franchised garages actually know about the cars they are selling!

Another issue I have is the cornering lights at low speed.ine do not work but I believe these are standard on the Karoq range. Probably a coding issue.

I requested a high beam automatic dip and was told my car had it, but now it looks as if that only works with the light assist package (that I don't have). Do you have this? Can it be retrofitted? Skoda dealer doesn't know!

Survey

Post by Survey »

Ok
Had a response from Skoda Uk. One cannot retrofit the light assist package as hardware as well as software is required to change. So that's what I got in response to the autodip missing. Similar answer regarding the missing cornering lights. ext was the travel abroad 'dip' change - told it's on the car by going to CAR/ settings/ light/travel or MENU/settings etc. Well there is no option on my car at all, so waiting for a response now on that.
Really amazing that the geaerdhop not Skoda UK actually know for sure. The person at Skoda went out to their car and then realised they had a sportline rather than a SEL. Amazing they have nothing to refer to - should know by the VIN number!

All these items were included according to the dealership at point of sale, including, they said, the satnav automatically realising the car was abroad and adjusting the light dip accordingly!
Survey

Post by Survey »

Update. Satnav won't detect if abroad and change the dip direction. One needs the travel package apparently and then you have the option of driving on left or right. Regarding the cornering lights and the automatic dip of high beam, one needs the light assist package. None can be retrofitted. I was told by my dealer that the car I bought had all this but now they know. Even, or typically, Skoda UK didn't know what spec a car has even with the vin number! Absolute farce!
Fortunately the abroad dip as stated earlier isn't so important as lights nowadays seem to mainly dip downwards, plus one can drop the dip beam lower in the light settings to help. The cornering lights don't really do much with vag group ( my mercedes it was very useful and worked well). The automatic high beam dip is useful I had previously found but guess I will just have to go back to doing this manually again!! To say the least I am not enamoured of vag group and it's dealers!
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Have you complained to the dealer?
Make enough noise and you might get a free service out of it.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
Survey

Post by Survey »

sanqhar wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:39 pm Have you complained to the dealer?
Make enough noise and you might get a free service out of it.

tom
I certainly have complained to the dealership. They are highly embarrassed. As an electric tailgate was specified and the car didn't come with it, they are retrofitting the electrics for free ( think that's worth £1700). They have mentioned compensation for the other failings and that would have to be considerably more than a free service! Alternative is a full refund but that doesn't help me. Maybe get a new car with the required options fitted if I want to go down that route. All very disappointing and the incredible lack of product knowledge of the dealership and that of Skoda UK.

Incidentally joecas raised a query regarding the lights changes when travelling abroad. No doubt you have read the earlier responses. I tested mine against a black garage door and switching from high to dipped beam is almost a vertical operation with only slight dip to the nearside so shouldn't be a problem abroad. Additionally there is an option on the lights sub-menu to lower the beam and that should provide additional assistance. That's what I am going to do!
Survey

Post by Survey »

Further to my previous posts, it does look as if one needs the Lights Assist package on an SEL to achieve the headlamp beam switch abroad, cornering lights and the Automatic dip. Not the Travel pack apparently, just the Lights Assist pack. But as I said it can't be retrofitted as it involves having matrix light instead of normal LED's.

I have tried the lights against the garage doors again and also watched them on the road and it does appear that there is some kick back to the nearside rather than just an up and down movement in a vertical plane. One can adjust the beam further downwards in the light menu setting but there is still a kick to the nearside. How important that is going to be abroad, I'm really not sure. Certainly don't want to go back to this long passed days of sticking s mask or electrical tape on light lenses.
ger

Post by ger »

Survey wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:35 am Routemaster1 - I have no idea. I have asked my garage to get a definitive response from Skoda UK.
just tried to ask SKODA CUSTOMER SUPPORT ABOUT THIS AND THEY SAID MY DEALER WOULD CONTACT ME