Karoq Petrol or Diesel???

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
quinton77

Post by quinton77 »

Hey All

I’ve been on the hunt for an Estate or SUV a while now and after test driving a Karoq am sold. It’s a great car! I was almost sold on the 1.6 TDI SE L model (used) but have been reading reviews on how good the 1.5 TSI engine is...with the minor difference in mpg as well as the lack of headache about the future legislative challenges with Diesel.

In the UK I’m having a really tough time finding any deals on used 1.5 petrol SE L’s but willing to wait if it’s worth it over the diesel. I mainly do local small drives but once every 2 months I’ll be driving around 200 miles to see family and then 200 miles back.

From what I’m reading you need to drive over 60mph for at least 15 mins every 2 weeks to be sure the DPF burns out the particulates or you are in for costly services. Also the Adblue situation seems like one of those minor things that can quickly become an inconvenience!

I just wanted to ask for feedback on the best engine type for my type of drive, and if the diesel version really does require as much “attention” as I’m led to believe from above?

Thanks

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Hello Quinton,
I think you have answered your own question.
Since you are obviously using your hard earned dosh rather than PCP. You will NOT be safe from market/Government influences on the popularity of DERV.
As you rightly say the difference in consumption taken against the higher price of diesel is, as far as I am concerned, a no brainer.
Your driving style seems to be similar to mine. It would not do a diesel engined car any good at all.
For all these reasons I would NEVER touch a diesel.
I have had a 1.4 Kodiaq, and am now on my second 1.5 Karoq. All DSG. IMHO you can\t beat them. Performance is surprising, due mainly to the high torque figures, Consumption os more than acceptable.
Go for it!
But it is obviously up to you.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Jimmy of Whitby

Post by Jimmy of Whitby »

Our 150PS DSG 4x4 Yeti averaged 36mpg over the 14500 miles we owned it, based on fuel added and miles covered, very similar to our previous 140PS manual 4x4 Yeti. It is very hilly around here and most of our driving is on local roads. The best mpg was 46 on a 600-mile round trip. In comparison, our 150PS 2WD DSG petrol Karoq averages 33.5mpg after 3400 miles for identical driving conditions, so the benefit of diesel for us, bearing in mind the price difference between petrol and diesel, is negligible. Plus our low annual mileage was not ideal for a diesel engine, but I did use the VAG DPF app to monitor the condition of the filter. The Karoq is an excellent car, with plenty of good features, it's lovely to drive and in particular the LED headlights are the best lights on any car I've driven. Although the torque is lower than the 150PS diesel, the DSG sorts that out by changing down on steep hills as necessary. The keyless (KESSY) system, which enables the front doors and boot to be opened without fumbling for a key is excellent, I'd never have another car without the electric handbrake or the auto hold for when stopped and the external looks of the car have grown on me. I'd recommend you seriously consider buying one.
Karoq SE L 1.5 TSi 150PS DSG business grey, front and rear dashcams, scuff plates, rubber mats, mud flaps, dog guard, spare wheel plus gunge and bottle jack and service pack.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Quinton,
I agree with all Jimmy says, but should point out that the electric tailgate is standard (as is a panoramic roof & 4WD) on the top of the range Edition.
Otherwise those items are expensive options.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Wessex

Post by Wessex »

Hi Quinton,

If it is of interest I will shortly be swapping my June 2018 Karoq Edition FWD Petrol 1.5 DSG with 13700 miles, FSH in excellent condition for a non Skoda marque. Will be happy to discuss a private sale instead of a P/Ex.

I live in Dorchester, Dorset.

Wessex

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post