Key failure with no warning

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Milfmog

Key failure with no warning

Post by Milfmog » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:20 am

Yesterday the battery in my key died. No warning that it was low, no apparent reduction in operating range. It worked to get me to my destination but when I returned to the car nothing. No response from the car, no red light on the key… Fortunately, I was only about 10 miles from home and so could get my wife to bring the spare key over. Had that happened further from home it could have been a right pain (especially as my wallet was inside the car and I had a 14 foot kayak and all my paddling gear to get home.)

Has anyone else experienced similar key failures with no warning? This has somewhat knocked my confidence in the car...

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

kodiaq

Re: Key failure with no warning

Post by kodiaq » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:04 pm

Ian,
Did you open the car with the 'real' key? if the fob is within range of the ignition, it should have started regardless of the fob battery being flat.
I have had, in the past, with another make, have the key die suddenly with no loss of range. Admittedly it was not a keyless start.
Do you keep the fob in a pocket? If so is there anything else in the pocket heavy enough to depress a button on the fab?
Colin Lambert. AKA, Kodiaq. Poole, Dorset.
Karoq Edition 1.5 DSG, Petrol Blue, F&R Sensors, Beige leather & Spacer saver.
Pan roof, rear camera, blind spot, lane keeping.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & Kodiaq Forums.

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:37 am

Colin,

No, I did not use the physical key as it was dark, so I could not see which handle end cover to remove (and the book does not make that clear, now that I have checked again). I also had no tools other than the key and nothing with which to protect the paintwork.

I was not helped by the battery in my iturd collapsing from 45% to dead just five hours after a full charge (no calls made or taken). However, there was a pub about half a mile away so I carried the kit there and borrowed a phone to ring home and get the spare key brought to me. I would have got more "mechanical" and accepted the risk of paint damage if I had been too far from home to do that.

In answer to your question about where the key is stored, at home it is in a box with other keys, at work it lives in a drawer, in a pocket on its own when I am out and about and when paddling it has a small clip top box inside a larger clip top as I am paranoid about drowning the key. None of those environments is likely to result in the button being held down.

I guess the question is whether the convenience of an electronic key when it works is worth the pain when it fails. For me, KESSY is an expensive solution to a problem that did not exist. The fact that it reduces vehicle security so significantly that Skoda engineered a way for the user to disable it probably answers that question.

Have fun (and a great Christmas and New Year),

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

wiggie35

Post by wiggie35 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:55 pm

I have recently experienced a similar problem. I drove the car without issue but, without warning, the key fob would not work when trying to lock it. In my case I could get back into the car. Rang my Skoda dealer hoping it could recommend a solution. Only suggestion was to call out breakdown. Didn’t fancy a 2 hour wait so got a lift home and back with spare key. Now understand that if the key fob is used to physically push the start/stop button it works. Mentioned this to a Kia dealer and he confirmed it to be correct. Shame my Skoda dealer didn’t make a similar suggestion. Now carry a spare C2025battery in car for the next time it goes without warning.

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:36 pm

Wiggie, a spare in the car would be no help at all if you are locked out of the car.

I simply bought four CR2025 batteries from Amazon and replaced the battery in both my keys and both of my wife's. Then I made a note in my diary for the same day next year to repeat the exercise. Around a fiver a year is a small price to avoid the inconvenience.

Have fun,

Ian.