Tyres

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Milfmog

Tyres

Post by Milfmog » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:16 pm

I have to confess that my Karoq does not feel anything like as surefooted as the Yeti it replaced. I could chuck the Yeti into a bend with an overdose of enthusiasm and always knew where it would go and when I was getting too close to the edge. I do not have the same confidence in the Karoq. I have noticed a far greater tendency to scrabble for grip under acceleration from rest than the yeti exhibited so am wondering whether it is poor tyres that are the issue rather than an inherent issue with the car design. Has anyone else had any thoughts about the tyres fitted by our friends at the factory?

I should note that I am not a heavy-footed boy racer and that both the Yeti and the Karoq are front wheel drive so the comparison between them is reasonable. Once the original rubber on the yeti wore out I replaced it with Michelin Cross Climates; very impressive.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

Grumpy

Re: Tyres

Post by Grumpy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:52 pm

Mine 1.0L came with Hankook tyres as original fit and I do find them pretty noisy on some surfaces. My previous Yeti was a 4 x 4 so not a direct comparison but the OEM Pirellis and subsequent Cross Climates were much quieter. The Cross Climates gave a smoother ride too but I will need to wear out the Hankooks before I can change over
Grumpy. Karoq 1.0L SE in Business Grey previous Yeti owner

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:35 pm

On rechecking the tyre pressures I found that I had 22.4 bar all round compared with the recommended pressure of 2.1 all around. Consequently, I have just reduced the tyre pressure by 0.3 bar all round to see if this helps. Give me a couple of days and I'll report back.

For the sake of transparency, I should note that I am running Bridgestone Touranzas on 18" rims.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

mikaroq

Post by mikaroq » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:55 pm

Have you also tried the sports steering setting? Whilst I find normal good for most circumstances, the sport steering adds extra weight which is useful in strong winds or twisty roads, where I find it gives a much more predictable and confident response. I have set individual mode to be normal everything but with the sport steering setting.
Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI DSG in Business Grey with towbar, auto light assist and heated front and rear seats.

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:34 pm

The issue is not really with dynamic grip but with pull-away from rest, consequently, sport mode actually makes things worse by holding the lower gears and increasing the torque available at the wheels.

Lowering the tyre pressure does appear to have improved things a bit, but I still get some slippage, especially if the roads are damp or cold. I did try a "give it all it's got" launch yesterday and the tyres were scrabbling for about 50 yards. I could not get that much slip out of my 300BHP Volvo estate.

Have fun,

Ian.

mikaroq

Post by mikaroq » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:03 pm

Agree with you there, was thinking more about throwing it into a bend with an overdose of enthusiasm... That's where sports steering may help, if you have the option on the se-l to change that on its own.
Happy motoring 😀
Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI DSG in Business Grey with towbar, auto light assist and heated front and rear seats.

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:07 pm

Yes, the SE-L has the individual mode. To be honest, I have not really fiddled with it, as I rarely get space to play silly beggars behind the wheel.

Have fun,

Ian.

Return to “Main Skoda Karoq chat”