EPC and exhaust control system lights

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Kelly80

Post by Kelly80 »

Hi all,

Looking for some advice please, maybe someone else has had this issue and dealt with it?

Firstly car model is Karoq 2018 petrol auto 1.0 TSI

When I first put the key in the igniton (not turning it on fully) all the warning lights come on for a few seconds then go off but the EPC and Exhaust Control Sytem lights stay on, however they go off once the engine starts and don't come on whilst driving. Should I get this checked out to be on the safe side or is it normal these two light stay on? I haven't noticed any issues driving the only thing that does seem a little off is my MPG is only 26 and that does seem low even for mainly the under 10min urban trips I used the car for mainly.

I'm in two minds in that if this is nothing to worry about then why pay for a diagnostics and potentially be told there is an issue when there is not (I find it hard to trust some mechanics!)

Or could there be an underlying issue that needs looking at before it gets worse and cost loads to fix!

Thanks

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

All the warning lights are lit when you turn the ignition on to show they're all working. I'd suspect that the EPC and Exhaust Control System lights turn off once the engine starts to check out their monitoring system. The manual for my car states:

"After switching on the ignition, some indicator lights light up briefly as a function test of the vehicle systems.
If the tested systems are in order, the respective indicator lights go out a few seconds after the ignition is switched on or after the engine has been started."

Fuel consumption comparisons are always difficult as different drivers can accelerate and brake very differently, and short urban journeys don't let the engine warm up completely. Do you use the car's fuel consumption readings, or actually measure the mileage and fuel added when you refill the tank? I find the car's readings to give higher MPGs than the actual value, but also note that the MPG improves steadily during my journeys, and is far better over longer flat journeys than during short hilly journeys.

For an 8 mile shopping journey on a 60MPH dual carriageway and 30MPH town driving, my car says it is doing 33 mpg (probably 30 in reality). But for a 50 mile gentle cruise it says I am doing 42 mpg (probably 38 or so really). I feel the 1.0 litre engine is fine as long as you don't expect too much from it -- and if the car is fully loaded or you accelerate hard then it will not deliver the promised MPG.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Kelly80

Post by Kelly80 »

CJJE wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:22 pm All the warning lights are lit when you turn the ignition on to show they're all working. I'd suspect that the EPC and Exhaust Control System lights turn off once the engine starts to check out their monitoring system. The manual for my car states:

"After switching on the ignition, some indicator lights light up briefly as a function test of the vehicle systems.
If the tested systems are in order, the respective indicator lights go out a few seconds after the ignition is switched on or after the engine has been started."

Fuel consumption comparisons are always difficult as different drivers can accelerate and brake very differently, and short urban journeys don't let the engine warm up completely. Do you use the car's fuel consumption readings, or actually measure the mileage and fuel added when you refill the tank? I find the car's readings to give higher MPGs than the actual value, but also note that the MPG improves steadily during my journeys, and is far better over longer flat journeys than during short hilly journeys.

For an 8 mile shopping journey on a 60MPH dual carriageway and 30MPH town driving, my car says it is doing 33 mpg (probably 30 in reality). But for a 50 mile gentle cruise it says I am doing 42 mpg (probably 38 or so really). I feel the 1.0 litre engine is fine as long as you don't expect too much from it -- and if the car is fully loaded or you accelerate hard then it will not deliver the promised MPG.

Chris
Thank you makes sense . My manual is not as detailed as that but I did re read it again and it would appear if there was an issue with both then the car will only operate in emergency drive mode, and its certainly not in that mode so I will assume all is fine

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post