Windscreen Wipers

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Survey

Post by Survey »

Trying to clean car. Tried to lift wipers away from windscreen but wiper arms foul the back edge of the bonnet. Is this normal? SEL.

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Afraid so!!
You should be able to lift them high enough to clean the screen but not to pull them right back so far that they stay off the screen. It annoyed n]me as well!!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
SkodaFan

Post by SkodaFan »

Not sure if this can be done in a KESSY car (I've yet to try cleaning my own screen !) but in my previous (keyed) Yeti I would turn the wipers on & immediately turn the ignition off, leaving the wipers virtually vertical. It does have to be an instant switch-off.

From that position they can, of course, be swung away from the screen.

Windscreen cleaned & polished, put the wipers back on the screen & when key next turned the wipers return to the 'rest' position.

If your car is keyed there's the answer.

If it's KESSY it's easy enough to see whether it will work - with no danger of hitting or scraping/scratching anything
IanW

Post by IanW »

There is a proper procedure to get the wipers vertical ( service position). Within 10 seconds of turning ignition off , press the wiper stalk down and release. Wipers will go to service position and stop. To get back to normal when finished, turn ignition on and press wiper stalk again. Wipers should return to normal park position.
HTH

edit: checked the manual ( yes its in there!) and you have to hold the stalk down for 2 seconds.

See section in manual titled 'Folding down windscreen wiper arms and replacing windscreen wiper blades'
Survey

Post by Survey »

IanW wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:25 pm There is a proper procedure to get the wipers vertical ( service position). Within 10 seconds of turning ignition off , press the wiper stalk down and release. Wipers will go to service position and stop. To get back to normal when finished, turn ignition on and press wiper stalk again. Wipers should return to normal park position.
HTH

edit: checked the manual ( yes its in there!) and you have to hold the stalk down for 2 seconds.

See section in manual titled 'Folding down windscreen wiper arms and replacing windscreen wiper blades'

Thanks for this. Spoke to the garage regarding the service position for wipers. They said push the wipers down but they should have said push the wiper stalk down!! Crazy system though, almost as if they hadn't thought about moving the wiper arms for cleaning!
IanW

Post by IanW »

Crazy system though, almost as if they hadn't thought about moving the wiper arms for cleaning!
They have , hence the procedure :)
I'm pretty sure I've had a similar procedure on a previous car where the wipers were obscured somewhat by the bonnet when in the park position. I guess they're designed like that so that the wipers are out of the airflow when parked and thus reduce wind resistance and give a (miniscule) improvement in WLTP figures!
Survey

Post by Survey »

IanW wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:58 pm
Crazy system though, almost as if they hadn't thought about moving the wiper arms for cleaning!
They have , hence the procedure :)
I'm pretty sure I've had a similar procedure on a previous car where the wipers were obscured somewhat by the bonnet when in the park position. I guess they're designed like that so that the wipers are out of the airflow when parked and thus reduce wind resistance and give a (miniscule) improvement in WLTP figures!
IanW. Yup - tried the procedure and it works as you say. Thanks.