Dreaded SOS Error

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Redman23

Post by Redman23 »

I have a 2 year old Skoda. After around a year I started to frequently get the SOS error (few times a week). I could clear it and dealer told me it wasn't a risk to drive. So i waited until my service when they said a software update would sort this.

Service was 2 weeks ago and I've had the error again several times. Software is now 0306. Hardware H22.

I windered if anyone else has had the error after software update and still managed to get it fixed another way?

Thanks

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

When I had this problem, it was cured by updating the car's software from 0270 to 0276 (version numbers may be different for a Karoq of course). It hasn't reappeared since. When the fault was present, on one occasion it stopped me loading my profile and also using the radio, satnav etc, so I wouldn't be happy with a dealer telling me it wasn't a problem. I'd report back to the dealer and tell him the software update hasn't worked.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

I had this, and the software was apparently up to date. The fault was apparently an aerial, which was replaced under warranty. On the last trip I did, the first after the new aerial was fitted, I didn't have a repeat alarm.
skodauser007

Post by skodauser007 »

I just picked up a 2021 Karoq SE a week ago and have already experienced the SOS alert whilst driving locally. Quite worrying it's happened so soon. :-(

My software version is 0270 but when I click "Update Software" in the menu it just shows a blank list and there's nothing to select. Am I doing something wrong?

Chris, good to hear you haven't experienced the issue again after updating. How long has it been since you updated? Hoping the software update resolves the issue for me although it's hard to verify. I am within the return window but apart from that the car seems good.
Soup

Post by Soup »

The update required to sort the SOS issue - hopefully - isn’t a DIY job.

It’ll need a trip to the dealership, and they’ll likely ask you to leave the car with them for the best part of the day.

I went though this palaver about six months ago, and it’s worked fine since.
skodauser007

Post by skodauser007 »

Aha! Thanks Soup! That makes sense now.

Six months without the issue sound very promising! Can I ask which software version you were updated to?

Also, does the above mean the Karoq doesn't do Over The Air (OTA) updates at all? Or is it just certain updates?

Thanks again!
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

@Soup,

I bought my car new in November 2020, and the SOS fault appeared in November 2021. The software was updated at its first service later in November 2021 and hasn't returned since. (Unlike the intermittent Travel Assist Unavailable bug which first appeared in Spring 2021. 'Cured' by replacing the steering wheel in November 2021, but returned this winter.)

The system software update takes quite a time at a dealers, due to its size, and cannot be done OTA. Th OTA updates require a valid Connect licence and are limited to small updates to the options in the menu system - which are the ones that prompt you to download and install when stationary - and the map updates - which are generated when you drive in an area with updated data, and arrive invisibly. When checking the system information page on the central infotainment screen, I see my map data is now at version 23/3, but I have never seen a prompt asking me to install it.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Soup

Post by Soup »

skodauser007 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:01 pm Aha! Thanks Soup! That makes sense now.

Six months without the issue sound very promising! Can I ask which software version you were updated to?

Also, does the above mean the Karoq doesn't do Over The Air (OTA) updates at all? Or is it just certain updates?

And like Chris's my navigation version is 23/3, though Skoda's navigation is so clunky and counterintuitive that I hardly bother with it.

Google maps wirelessly using CarPlay from an iPhone is much, much simpler and you get the added benefit of a zoomable satellite view.

skodauser007

Post by skodauser007 »

Thanks both. I'll look into getting the software upgraded. Interesting though that the OP had the issue on a later version than both of you.
Dfinkels

Post by Dfinkels »

I managed to clear the error by using a cheap Bluetooth ODB2 reader from Amazon, here's what I've noticed, I didn't have the error until I changed my phone from Android to iPhone a couple of months ago, I started getting the system freeze making me reset it, then I had the SOS error, all the time around 20 months using my android phone I had no issues (apart from the usual disconnecting issue).
So out of curiosity what phones are people using?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post