Car change advice please

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Survey

Post by Survey »

We have been considering changing our 2 cars (2017 petrol Yeti and 2012 MB E coupe diesel) for 1 car as we don't have a need for 2.

We have test driven a petrol Karok SEL DSG and frankly it seemed to fit the bill with plenty of boot space, versatility, toys etc and a quiet smooth drive. We also tested a Tiguan but frankly I couldn't warm to it. The Karok is on a long delivery time so may not be placing an order too soon. The Yeti is a very hard act to follow!

Any others considered/ bought a Karok or Tiguan able to comment?

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

I went for a Karoq over the Tiguan as it was cheaper, big enough for my needs, and still had physical buttons for essential controls rather than touchscreen menus.

Have you considered checking the Skoda UK website for any dealer demonstrators being sold off as nearly new?

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
mic44

Post by mic44 »

Check Skoda website , various new models delivery within two weeks , all parts of country .
Survey

Post by Survey »

Thanks for these responses. In fact an ex demo car has just come along and I am checking it out. It has been really difficult to find a suitable car that suits me ( replacement for MB R coupe) and my wife (yeti). The Tiguan was the closest to the karok but it just didn't feel right somehow, plus 19" wheels a no no ( even the karok' 18" wheels a bit low profile.
Survey

Post by Survey »

Took the plunge and bought a very low mileage SEL. Just hope it lives up to expectations. Been warned about the Amundsen info screen problems some have had, just hope I don't suffer this. Anything else I should be aware of?
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

There is a common 'Travel Assist Unavailable' software bug that affects many recent VAG cars. I never use the feature myself, but occasionally get this alarm warning as I'm driving - and it seems to have become more frequent again recently. The feature combines the adaptive cruise control and lane assist functions, so anything visibly blocking the forward facing camera or front radar sensor will trigger it (along with alarms for these features being unavailable). But it also uses the capacitive sensors in the steering wheel which are intended to detect if you do not have your hands on the wheel (for the Emergency Assist feature). I suspect these are triggering the alarm in my car as it seems to have become more frequent over winter when I've been using the heated steering wheel. I reported the fault in November 2021, and it was cured by replacing the steering wheel. But it has now returned. Other owners have reported having several steering wheels changed to cure the fault, but VAG now seem to be resisting doing this, and are trying to cure it by updating the car's software instead.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Survey

Post by Survey »

Survey wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:34 pm Took the plunge and bought a very low mileage SEL. Just hope it lives up to expectations. Been warned about the Amundsen info screen problems some have had, just hope I don't suffer this. Anything else I should be aware of?
Update - when I say 'bought it' in fact I paid a deposit as the car is coming from another branch of the dealership, so I haven't actually seen it. It arrived imminently and I can view/accept/reject. As the car is a late 2022 car I am informed Skoda had addressed the various items such as Amundsen updates etc. Anything I should particularly check on an inspection/ test drive? This is an SEL and I have only driven the standard model; SEL is on 18" wheels ( thank goodness not the 19" ones on a storyline. Would have much preferred 16" for comfort!
Survey

Post by Survey »

I thought I would just provide an update on my decision to change our 2 cars for 1 Skoda karoq SEL.

The karoq was available today for an inspection and test drive. The drive was fine despite having 18" tyres. The fuel consumption was I thought poor being 41mpg over a short 11 miles. Then I found that the infotainment screen was rather a nightmare to negotiate. Then I found that the tailgate didn't have an electric close button despite being an SEL ( resulting in having to pull down a heavy tailgate using a rubber strap). Was quite disappointed and declined to buy.
Survey

Post by Survey »

Survey wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:55 pm I thought I would just provide an update on my decision to change our 2 cars for 1 Skoda karoq SEL.

The karoq was available today for an inspection and test drive. The drive was fine despite having 18" tyres. The fuel consumption was I thought poor being 41mpg over a short 11 miles. Then I found that the infotainment screen was rather a nightmare to negotiate. Then I found that the tailgate didn't have an electric close button despite being an SEL ( resulting in having to pull down a heavy tailgate using a rubber strap). Was quite disappointed and declined to buy.

Further update. Dealer phoned and offered a retrofit tailgate electrics using Skoda kit. Also agreed to a much longer test drive to check the mpg again. Just hope this provides a result one way or another.
IanW

Post by IanW »

If they are doing the tailgate for free then that's a good deal, an after market kit is about £1700.
TBH 41 mpg for a short run from cold sounds reasonable. You should get closer to 50 on a decent run when warm. The only bit of the infotainment I find difficult is the satnav, and since my Skoda connect licence ran out I just use Google maps via Wireless android auto.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post