Droning Sound when driving

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Lloydg

Post by Lloydg »

When driving over 55mph a droning sound is apparent, please can anyone explain what this might suggest. Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG Thanks

Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

Lloydg wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:59 pm When driving over 55mph a droning sound is apparent, please can anyone explain what this might suggest. Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG Thanks
When it drones have a look on your dash and see if an ECO icon is on. The engine will be running in 2 cylinder mode.
Lloydg

Post by Lloydg »

Thanks for the reply, my car is 5 years old and the droning has only just become apparent. I’m wondering if it could be a transmission noise, certainly my past life with cars I would have gone for a wheel bearing or gearbox problem but I am not knowledgeable regarding DSG transmission!
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Slow down a bit. You will probably find that Wifey will stop droning on at lower speeds. :lol:
(sorry, couldn't resist that! :roll: )
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Lloydg

Post by Lloydg »

I wonder if anyone has anything constructive to contribute? I am a bit worried as to any consequences whilst I am driving. I understand a noise/sound is a bit vague but there are no falt lights coming on and prevention is better than cure.
Has anyone with a 5 year old or older Karoq had the gearbox oil changed or topped up?
Soup

Post by Soup »

What makes you think it isn’t a wheel bearing?

While it certainly isn’t a foolproof means of diagnosis, it might be worthwhile trying a couple of things which could narrow it down a bit.

Noisy wheel bearings are certainly more noticeable over about 50 or 60, but if one is on the way out you can often make the drone worse deliberately by side-loading the bearings.

A curved bit of road that you take at a decent clip like a sweeping slip road, or one of those really big roundabouts you get at motorway junctions, for instance, will often exaggerate the noise.

Is it a constant drone or is there a rhythmic element to it at all?

I had a wheel bearing go on an Audi allroad and it had a noticeable low-pitched wow-wow-wow sound that made it sound as if I was being shadowed by a distant Chinook.

It was also far worse when driving round a curved motorway slip than when driving in a straight line.

And failing bearings don’t necessarily manifest themselves as looseness or lateral movement in the hub when that corner of the car is jacked up and you try to rock the suspect wheel.

Been there too.

You may well know all this stuff already, of course, and if you do I apologise.

I wouldn’t even begin to suggest how you might narrow down a noise like the one you describe to a possible gearbox issue if it only occurs over 50 mph.
Lloydg

Post by Lloydg »

Thanks Soup, from what you describe it doesn’t sound like a wheel bearing, it’s very much like the sound coming from a cruising piston engined aircraft.
I’m old enough to remember! Think about war films the same sound.
fabill

Post by fabill »

Just spotted this forum. Joined today. Hi!
Been a Briskodian 17 years. 2007-2010, Fabia VRs. 2021, 1.1 DSG SE Kamiq. 2024, 1.5 DSG Karoq.

Now to subject: Droning.
I can see I'm not alone. On journey home from the dealership I was soon aware of a muted but constant droning. This was in marked contrast to the 'drone-free' 1.1 DSG Kamiq which I'd had for the previous three years. I've had the Karoq now for a few months and, with the exception of the droning, I'm pleased.
At this point I have a confession: I did not test drive a Karoq. The Kamiq was the entry SUV. It had been superb and I assumed the more expensive Karoq would be at least if not more refined. In some respects it is but the droning is a nuisance. And, I'm constantly aware of it at speeds above say 30mph. And it's not confined to spells in ECO ACT mode. It's ever present.
So, what's the source?
Initial thought was the tyres. However, on different and varying surfaces the sound levels/frequencies change, but the drone is ever present.
Next thought: wheel bearing. Soon eliminated that by the standard check - left/right movements of steering wheel on smooth surface produces no change in drone.
I have discovered however, in normal driving if I drop the DSG into neutral the drone seems to be eliminated. I say 'seems' because it might still be there but masked. What I can say, for certain, in neutral I'm no longer aware of it. Of course that doesn't solve the issue in normal driving mode. So, is it the engine? Or, could it be the DSG?
I've not reported this to the dealership. It would be a waste of time. I can just imagine: 'We can't hear the drone you're referring to!'

Obviously, I'm not alone in this regard. The droning is referred to in Briskoda and on here. So, is it an inherent issue with the 1.5 DSG Karoq? Or, peculiar to only certain examples?
What do you think?

Finally. Other than this the 1.5 DSG Karoq car is a superb machine. Eliminate this drone and I'd vote it best of 39 cars I've owned over 63 years.
1.5 SE Drive DSG Karoq, Black Magic, 2020.