Infotainment System - Amundsen

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Borderboy

Post by Borderboy »

I previously owned a Yeti L&K. I let it go after 8 years. It was a wrench!

Stored music from my CD collection was held on a couple of 36GB SD cards which I just slotted in - it was the Columbus system on my Yeti. The music played fine.

The Karoq, (1.5 SEL (150 PS), which I bought 14 months ago from new doesn't have SD card slots or ports. It has two USB C ports. So in order to utilise my already loaded SD cards I thought perhaps a USB C to SD card reader/adaptor might do the job, but it doesn't. The system doesn't see it and I don't know why.

My only work around is to buy several USB C flash drives, transfer my music and plug directly into the available ports in the centre console. This works but not brilliantly

I am finding that a full to capacity flash drive takes forever for the system to read in, and then if I do a search for a specific track or album it tends to struggle.

Also, when I switch off, park up and leave the car, on return the system loses its place and starts playing something from a different album.

I feel as though I am having to live with it but it is a pain.

can anyone shed any light please?

SkodaFan

Post by SkodaFan »

I share your frustration.
I had my Yeti for 11 yrs & had 10 (Rpt 10) SD cards with music on - all played fine on Bolero system. (And picked up where they left off.)
Karoq with USB-c ports by the gear lever - all SD card contents copied onto 4 x 32Gb Flash drives.
Music plays OK, but system takes forever to read the drive (I did contemplate using 1 x 128Gb drive - how long might it take to read that?), and as you say on engine switch off & back on it doesn't remember where it was when last used. It then takes forever to trawl through the screen to find the USB drive again & then the album I want it to play.
Best of all though - two dealers I've referred it to haven't got a clue.
As I've said before (in a different thread on another forum - Great Car! - Wonderful to Drive & Ride In - Appalling electronics. (And use the word 'Appalling' - well, it isn't that good.
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

I've also transferred my music library to a USB-C flash drive, but have no problems with it being read by my Amundsen info system. Mine is like this one: https://www.mymemory.co.uk/integral-128 ... 0mb-s.html
It states that its transfer speed is up to 200MB/s Read / 60MB/s Write (128GB) Is yours slower perhaps?

Mine will also reset to the first track in the library when turned off for a while, but I have got round this by storing favourite artists, genres etc as favourites on the Media screen. This lets me jump immediately to the artist or genre I want to play. (And in practice I only resort to the stored music when I'm in the hills and out of DAB/FM coverage.)
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
SkodaFan

Post by SkodaFan »

I might have a problem with specifying "favourites" & storing them in a quickly accessible folder/directory.

I have a total of 1021 albums (at the time of writing) on my flash drives, and have not put all of my music collection across.

Generally it plays fine but the non-pickup-from-where-left-off is annoying
Borderboy

Post by Borderboy »

I've checked the flash drives I have.

I have several 32GB SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 drives that have to use USB A to USB C adaptors. These quote up to 130 MB/s read rate.

I also have a couple of 64GB SanDisk USB 3.1 which are dual connection on a swivel, (USB A and USB C). These are quoted as up to 150 MB/s read rate.

I am finding that even 32GB drives if filled almost to capacity are very slow to be read. Searches are fraught and play does not start from where you left off.

The 64GB drives are worse.

So I might try a some 16GB drives, but obviously I'll need more of them to transfer everything.

I've also ordered a couple of 32GB Kingston's as recommended. These are quoted at up to 200MB/s but they are much bigger physically and as we all know, even the smaller drives are prone to be snapped off.

I have seen some of these, (see screenshot), which appear to be low profile but I don't know much about them. They are up on eBay and are shipped from China, which I am not too confident about.

Screenshot_2024-01-16-22-07-51-41_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

Just had another look. These are only quoting up to 90MB/s so they'll have to do better to stand any chance of getting my money!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post