New Owner, Couple of questions please.

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
KBD

Post by KBD »

Hello, collected my Jan 2022 Karoq SEL just before Christmas and have only just had the time to fiddle with it as to Sat Nav and some of the functions.
I have saved some destinations as favourites (bit of a palaver to say the least) and have two questions as to the Sat Nav.

1. When selecting a route it shows the immediate directions in the centre console, thereby taking away the digital speed which I'd selected. Is there any way that the route and instructions can be selected to remain on the Sat Nav screen only, leaving me my easy to read central speed display?

2. Will the speed limit for the roads I'm travelling on show on the Sat Nav screen? Just to be clear, I've only set the routes as favourites this afternoon and have not driven any of them as yet.

A final question please, on the centre console I can see that you can set a speed limit warning...when I press the rotary controller it asks me (from memory)to press the main switch....what and where is that?

I love the drive of the car but that Sat Nav is not at all intuitative to say the least...at least not for me.

Thank you, Brian.

IanW

Post by IanW »

1. When selecting a route it shows the immediate directions in the centre console, thereby taking away the digital speed which I'd selected. Is there any way that the route and instructions can be selected to remain on the Sat Nav screen only, leaving me my easy to read central speed display?
As far as I'm aware, you need to reselect the speed display again and it will stay there until ignition off/on or another route is selected.
but that Sat Nav is not at all intuitative to say the least...at least not for me
or me! Its awful, I just use google maps via wireless Android auto
KBD

Post by KBD »

Thanks for your reply.

Can anyone else answer the setting the speed limiter query please.

Many thanks, Brian.
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Depending on the spec of your car, the current speed limit can be detected by the camera behind the interior mirror and displayed on the virtual cockpit. However the speed limit that is displayed can also be picked up from the map database, and over-ridden. At times, my car tells me I am in a 20 mph zone when I pass a junction where the joining road is a 20 and my road is a 30 zone. Also, I can be on a 50 mph road and a joining derestricted road can trigger a 60 sign instead. Finally, the map database sometimes seems to lose the UK flag and tells the car it is in a 80 kph zone when it is a 50 mph zone!

As a result, I found the speed limit warnings very annoying - even when they were set to give an audible warning. And the thought of letting them control the car's speed would be very dangerous!!

Instead, I use the speed limiter function on the cruise control stalk, and flick it up or down to the correct speed as I pass each road sign. This serves to prevent me speeding inadvertently, and lets me keep my eyes on the road instead of the instrument panel. I have to re-engage it each time I start the engine, but you soon get used to pressing the button on the steering wheel and choosing the speed limiter option on the screen.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
KBD

Post by KBD »

Thank you, very informative.

Brian.
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

CJJE wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:47 pm Depending on the spec of your car, the current speed limit can be detected by the camera behind the interior mirror and displayed on the virtual cockpit. However the speed limit that is displayed can also be picked up from the map database, and over-ridden. At times, my car tells me I am in a 20 mph zone when I pass a junction where the joining road is a 20 and my road is a 30 zone. Also, I can be on a 50 mph road and a joining derestricted road can trigger a 60 sign instead. Finally, the map database sometimes seems to lose the UK flag and tells the car it is in a 80 kph zone when it is a 50 mph zone!

As a result, I found the speed limit warnings very annoying - even when they were set to give an audible warning. And the thought of letting them control the car's speed would be very dangerous!!

Instead, I use the speed limiter function on the cruise control stalk, and flick it up or down to the correct speed as I pass each road sign. This serves to prevent me speeding inadvertently, and lets me keep my eyes on the road instead of the instrument panel. I have to re-engage it each time I start the engine, but you soon get used to pressing the button on the steering wheel and choosing the speed limiter option on the screen.

Chris
You cannot rely on the speed limit info for 2 reasons. First the limit may have changed and the map may not be uddated. Second, the camera obviously relies on the speed limit signs being up to date and, crucially, visible to the camera. With the increasing use of only one sign on entering the new limit (it used to be compulsory for signs for a new limit to be displayed on both sides of the road, but not now) it is much easier for the camera to miss a sign due to obstruction by foliage or large vehicles. My car has ACC which drove me potty as it always reset to a new higher limit rather than my choice of lmit. Also braking was alway very harsh and uncomfortable. There is one particular place on the A31 where the limit is 70mph and there is a slip road with a 40mph limit marked right on the divergence. My car would see it and slam on the brakes to acheive 40mpg regardless of anything behind me. I did manage to set it to CC rather than ACC, and that suits me, but I don't remember exactly how I did it.
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Routemaster1 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:48 am You cannot rely on the speed limit info for 2 reasons. First the limit may have changed and the map may not be uddated. Second, the camera obviously relies on the speed limit signs being up to date and, crucially, visible to the camera. With the increasing use of only one sign on entering the new limit (it used to be compulsory for signs for a new limit to be displayed on both sides of the road, but not now) it is much easier for the camera to miss a sign due to obstruction by foliage or large vehicles. My car has ACC which drove me potty as it always reset to a new higher limit rather than my choice of lmit. Also braking was alway very harsh and uncomfortable. There is one particular place on the A31 where the limit is 70mph and there is a slip road with a 40mph limit marked right on the divergence. My car would see it and slam on the brakes to acheive 40mpg regardless of anything behind me. I did manage to set it to CC rather than ACC, and that suits me, but I don't remember exactly how I did it.
Quite. Knowing the state of UK road signs - missing / illegible / covered by overgrown vegetation / badly angled - I don't think people dreaming of driverless cars realise how much it will cost to make them possible.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
KBD

Post by KBD »

Many thanks to those who have posted for your views.

May I ask again to try and understand a feature of the sat nav .

I saved a destination as a favourite and used that stored favourite to drive there. The screen only showed the destination as a fixed point on the screen, ie not moving as my route progressed, instead giving me correct guidance and countdown via the small middle screen on the console. I therefore lost my digital speed readout which I would prefer to have there, and instead have the route displayed and working on the main sat nav screen itself.

Is there a way of only having the route show on the sat nav alone ?

Ian W suggested I could restore the digital speed myself, but I could not figure it out whilst the sat nav was operating.

My previous car did not have this feature of displaying the route on the centre console so have not come across this issue before... help please!

Thanks again in anticipation, Brian.
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

You can restore it. The buttons and scroll wheelon the right of the wheel operate the centre part of the digital display. The scroll wheel will scroll though menus and when pressed will select. It may be necessary to do the initial selection whilst the car is stopped, maybe with the engine stopped.

I run mine with 'fuel consumption stince start'. If I use satnav, either built-in or via android auto, the display changes to the built in satnav. I haven't found a way to prevent this. To restore it to what I want, I have to press the bottom left button on the right of the wheel, scroll up two 'notches', then press the scroll button in. On occasions the screen shows something differen (either by accident or after it has been to the workshop, I found it difficult to restore what I wanted.
IanW

Post by IanW »

To restore it to what I want, I have to press the bottom left button on the right of the wheel, scroll up two 'notches', then press the scroll button in
Its 2nd nature now for me to go back to the digital speed display but IIRC its just a single press on the bottom left button, as that's the default

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post