Electric tailgate stopped working

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
LancashireLad

Post by LancashireLad »

Hi, my experience will, hopefully, help Karoq owners who encounter similar problem.
Scenario was, tailgate fully opened using tailgate button but would not close. It just beeped whichever way we tried to close it, the only way to close it was to force it manually (it takes quite an effort). I searched the www for any advice/video clips on this topic across the whole Skoda/VW/Audi/Seat range but drew a blank. Some YouTube videos showed how to replace faulty electric struts at great expense.
So decided to trace the problem by systematically checking connections in the wiring, to cut a long story short, it turned out to be a broken wire on the top of the near side strut where the flexible rubber cover enters the bodywork. This involved propping up the tailgate then taking each strut off by releasing the circlips (don’t remove them completely, just a little to release the strut top & bottom) pushing back the flexible rubber cover revealed a bunch of wires, some heavy gauge & a couple of lighter gauge ones, green & brown. The green had broken & the brown had slight sign of damage.
I repaired the break by soldering a very short piece of similar cable complete with heat shrink sleeving & extra insulation on the damaged brown conductor. It worked perfectly once again, thankfully saving myself a hefty dealer garage bill.
Hope this helps fellow owners.

Pushon

Post by Pushon »

Thank you, I have just looked under the rubber and indeed have a broken green wire. Did you unplug the strut or just work on it while it was wired in? I cannot workout how to get the internal trim off to remove the strut, from your wording it looks like you just did the work in place but think I might have to end up replacing it. would be very grateful if you could help.

IMG_20230713_184454.jpg

LancashireLad

Post by LancashireLad »

Hi, yes similar problem that I have had, great photo btw.
I removed the strut completely from the car & repaired it on the bench. It isn’t an easy task, the interior trim is so well fitted, so really difficult to get access. The strut wiring is connected by a multi wire plug & socket behind the light beige rear quarter trim, but to get to it is nearly impossible. Firstly I loosened the lower black trim by removing the bar (the one with the movable hooks) then I managed to move the upper part away from the bodywork just about enough to get a hand in far enough to unplug the wiring, lots of scrapes & scratches on my hand. Then the strut is easy to remove, first prop open the tailgate with a brush handle or similar, you will realise what a good job the struts do when you realise how heavy the tailgate is!
To remove the strut you need to ease out the centre spring wire a little, don’t remove it completely, at top & bottom that allows the strut to be released.
Having said all that yours looks like you could maybe repair the wire break in situ?
Good luck,
Geoff
LancashireLad

Post by LancashireLad »

IMG_1283.jpeg

LancashireLad

Post by LancashireLad »

Alas, the left hand side strut has failed again.
On inspection it was the brown wire broken again following my earlier repair. Because the right hand side strut is still ok I can’t really say it’s bad quality/design but a friend with a Mercedes c class estate equipped with electric tailgate seem much ‘beefier’. They look more substantial& better protected. I realise that is a much more expensive car to buy.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Thanks fort the information.. Most helpful for others.
Perhaps that was the problem I had with my Kodiaq boot lid.
Well done Skoda !! NOT!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post