Wheel alignment - con or not??

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Kelly80

Post by Kelly80 »

Hi all

Recently had an MOT on my Karoq and the technician recommended getting all four of my wheels aligned due to some slight uneven wear on the tyres. Car passed MOT so was more a recommendation. The Cost is £80 for the alignment.

When I mentioned this to a friend he said this is one of the biggest cons and garages push this as a quick money making 'extra' and unless your wheels are badly misaligned (which probably would not pass the MOT) then don't get it done as if they are only slightly misalinged, which is common on most UK cars with the terrible pot holes, bumpy roads etc. He basically said you could get it done and then drive down the road 5mins after and hit a pot hole and they could be misaligned again, so throwing £80 down the drain.

Thoughts??

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I agree with your friend's comments.
If you aren't certain. try this. Protyre are excellent. https://www.protyre.co.uk/upsell/front-wheel-alignment
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Kelly80

Post by Kelly80 »

Thanks Colin,

Funnily enough that is the firm that just replaced three of my borderline tyres never knew they did alignment so will get it done for peace of mind at that price
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

Although they may claim to do afour wheel alignment, generally vey little is adjustable apart from the front wheel toe-in or toe-out.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I had a 4 wheel alignment done by Bathwick, before they became Protyre and they produced an extremely comprehensive diagrammatic computer print out of all four wheels, toe in/out, camber and caster* (*not for rear wheels obvs) on my Karoq. with before and after diagrams showing red or green and with the actual angles. I had just bought one tyre and I think they charged £29 for the alignment, but it was 4 years ago.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post