Karoq Edition new owner

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
johnboy60

Post by johnboy60 »

Hi All
After some info please
Picking up a Skoda Karoq Edition 1.5 DSG 2019

1] Can you play MP3/Flac files from the USB connection and what is the max size drive that can be used?

2] 2 x SD card sockets and 1x sim socket in glove box can both the SD sockets be used for MP3/Flac files and what is the max size card can be used ?

3] How do you find out what extras were fitted from factory?

4] Can I use my phones internet to connect the Columbus unit for live traffic and updates?
Thanks
John

24 VRT

Post by 24 VRT »

You'll need to refer to your owners manual for the definitive answers for your age of car. However based on the 2021 Columbus owners manual info, it does play MP3 and FLAC files. No reference to maximum drive sizes, so I guess that may not matter. On 2021 cars we have USB-C sockets, but assuming the USB-A in yours perform the same functions, then they will provide power and data transfer & thus you can play media through them. Can't help re SD card sockets as we don't have those in 2021 cars.
As to factory fitted extras, the only certain ways of finding that is A) to see the original buyers invoice (unlikely) or B) talking nicely to the sales/parts departments at your local Skoda dealership - they might be able to print out the car's 'full data' from its VIN or C) from erWin - https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz/erwin/showHome.do (the Electronic Repair and Workshop Information service from Skoda Auto) where you can buy an hour's access fairly reasonably.
As to live traffic via your mobile, I don't know. You have a SIM socket you say - could be that inserting a data only SIM (such as those from Three) would give you what you seek, but again you need to go through the manual for your age of car. For 2021 cars onward, there is no SIM socket - they have built in eSIMS and those give 'Over the air' map updates & traffic info but only free for the first year - thereafter its an annual fee (c.£40). Personally, I don't bother and just use Waze via Android Auto. I update the car's satnav map database, when new releases are made availble from the Skoda Update Portal, via flashdrive and USB-C socket. I think you should be able to do the same using SD cards and the sockets in your glovebox.
Hope this helps and enjoy the car!
Tiptonian

Post by Tiptonian »

24 VRT wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:29 pm I update the car's satnav map database, when new releases are made availble from the Skoda Update Portal, via flashdrive and USB-C socket. I think you should be able to do the same using SD cards and the sockets in your glovebox.
Hope this helps and enjoy the car!
This is interesting - I've tried to do this but can't get the map update to import into the system.

I went to the Update Portal, entered the VIN and downloaded the zip file ECE 2022/2023 (Valid since CW 25/2022). It is 28GB and contains a large number of folders called MIB31_EUCM.UR10101 and similar. I have unpacked the zip file on to a 64GB exFAT formatted type C pendrive and all folders show in the root level of the drive. The MIB3 instructions say to just plug that into one of the infotainment type C sockets, but when I do that nothing seems to happen. I also tried the MIB2 method, going to Menu> Settings> System Information> Update Software, it doesn't show anything to uodate. Any help would be appreciated.

Screenshot 2022-11-22 172239.png

2021 Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI 150PS DSG auto 5d
Columbus Infortainment
Virtual Cockpit
24 VRT

Post by 24 VRT »

You have to leave the flash drive in the USB-C socket for some time (days or weeks depending on vehicle usage) and eventually it will update. Its not something that you can 'force' the system to do - it will just 'see' the new map data on the flash drive next time the navigation is on and then it will start downloading the update in the background.
georgef

Post by georgef »

Sorry. Lte to the discussion.

We have a 2019 Edition with what sounds like the same "infotainment system" as you.

I can use 2 SD cards in the glovebox sockets although in fact I don't. I use a 64Gb card with MP3 (320kps) and quite frankly I cannot tell the difference between these MP3 and FLAC. I use FLAC at home. I am not persuaded that the car is the best place for critical listening. The MP3 recordings are fine. The book

As to the satnav - I have not been able to get a reliable download from the Skoda website (others may have a different experience). So I use the VW download site and download the update for a 2017 on Tiguan with Discover Pro. The download (for November 2022) is about 28GB. Once downloaded I "unzip" to the root directory of a 64Gb a full size SD card (the mini-cards with adapter are discouraged).

There are 2 ways to update from the SD card.

WAY 1: NAV -> settings (in NAV) -> Information about version -> actualization (SD/
USB) -> proceed as the navigation system requires.
WAY 2: Settings (general) -> information about the system -> actualization of SW
-> proceed as the navigation system requires -> after the process the infotainment
will restart -> maps are ready for use.

https://app-connect.volkswagen.com/mapu ... /#download

Above is the address for the download I use. There was an instruction booklet somewhere on the VW site (with a similar one on the Skoda site) about the process but I cannot find that now - sorry.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post