MIB3 Infotainment - S-Pin?

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
RogerJT

Post by RogerJT »

I have had my Karoq four months now, and, after some difficulty, managed to register myself as the Primary User on the infotainment system about a week after that. Up until now, when I turned on the infotainment, I selected myself as the user and everything worked. Suddenly, I find that when I select myself as user, it asks me for a PIN number - S-pin. What PIN number, I never had to choose a PIN number when I first registered myself as Primary User? The only way I can continue is to switch to the guest profile.
I guess there must have been a software update, but has anyone else had this problem? Why the change? Yet another unecessary complication in this wretched over complicated system designed by geeks for geeks, not 77 year old pensioners who just want to drive the car! I guess I will shoot off another email to Skoda Customer Services, but no doubt they wont have a clue either.

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

I added an S-Pin when I registered my user id in my car, but despite nag screens whenever I turned off the engine never 'protected my id with my S-Pin'. As far as I could see, this would require me to enter the S-Pin whenever I used the car which seemed rather pointless to me.

It's never defaulted to asking for the S-Pin, so I'm surprised yours has started doing this.

The only problem I've encountered was when I had my first service recently, and the dealer left it set to the guest id rather than mine. As a result it stopped sending driving data to the app until I realised and set it to use my id again.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
RogerJT

Post by RogerJT »

I have done a bit more research, and found a you tube video. It appears that I must have entered an S pin when I first set myself up as Primary User, although I couldnt even remember even doing it, let alone what it was! All I remember was a bizarre ritual involving the need to have both keys in the car.

Its never asked me for a pin number since, until yesterday. Fortunately, I have just tried the several combinations of numbers that I habitually use when asked for that sort of thing, and one of them turned out to work, so I am now back as Primary User.
Exactly what is the point of having a pin number just so you can listen to the radio in your car is, however, beyond my aged brain! Probably needed to comply with some EU regulation or other, I guess, your choice of radio station is your own business, not anyone elses!
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Depending on the spec of your car, I believe you can personalise it so that different users can have different radio stations as favourites, and different settings for the powered driver's seat and mirrors etc, and setting an S-Pin stops one user changing the settings for the other user by mistake. If you ignore the nag screen and don't set the S-Pin when you turn off the engine, and are the only driver like I am, then it just automatically starts up again with the last user's settings.

Glad you got it sorted out anyway.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
24 VRT

Post by 24 VRT »

If it keeps asking for your s-Pin then you need to change the setting

IMG_20211205_093105.jpg

If it has a tick in this box it will keep asking, so untick it and that should stop it happening.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post