Semi-conductor shortage.

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

From motoring press today.
Skoda has an interesting perspective on this given the lengthy delays to deliver new Enyaq models to customers. 'The recent Covid-19 outbreaks in Asia have forced semiconductor manufacturers based there to drastically reduce production. This is having a severe impact on the entire automotive industry, but we are working intensively to meet the current challenges as best we can,' said a spokesperson.

He added: 'We expect that the semiconductor supply situation will stabilise in the second half of 2022'.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

I'd also read that car manufacturers cut their orders drastically at the start of lockdowns since their 'Just in Time' ordering practices didn't want to stockpile chips with no cars to fit them into. Then when they started ramping up car production again they found the semiconductor factories had switched to making other chips and couldn't meet their demand for automotive chips.

I believe Hyundai/Kia didn't suffer the same problems because they didn't cut their orders as drastically??

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
RogerJT

Post by RogerJT »

"Just in time" is proving a mixed blessing for motor manufacturers. My daughter in law works in purchasing for the biggest UK maufacturer and she tells me that orders for all parts are normally placed with suppliers on a "minimum volume" basis, with provision in the contract for the supplier to make a claim on her employer if the minimum volume specified in the contract is not maintained. Because of the semiconductor shortage, it is very common for parts orders for just about anything to be below the minimum specified in the contract at the moment, so not only are her employers losing money by not being able to make and sell cars, but they are also having to face these compensation claims from suppliers of other parts!
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

RogerJT wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:24 pm "Just in time" is proving a mixed blessing for motor manufacturers. My daughter in law works in purchasing for the biggest UK maufacturer and she tells me that orders for all parts are normally placed with suppliers on a "minimum volume" basis, with provision in the contract for the supplier to make a claim on her employer if the minimum volume specified in the contract is not maintained. Because of the semiconductor shortage, it is very common for parts orders for just about anything to be below the minimum specified in the contract at the moment, so not only are her employers losing money by not being able to make and sell cars, but they are also having to face these compensation claims from suppliers of other parts!
Which will presumably be why some manufacturers are making cars without the high-tech assist systems that need the chips, just so they can still ship cars to customers and use up the other parts they're buying in?

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.