Changing from automatic to manual mode

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Lindsayk

Post by Lindsayk »

Hi Folks
Hopefully this is simple but I think I am missing something in the handbook on how to change from auto to manual mode with the 1 litre 3 cylinder model.
I tried changing using the paddles but it would move up or down gears, and advice on how to operate this would be much appreciated as the handbook is as clear as mud on this issue.

Simonrich

Post by Simonrich »

If you push the gear lever to the side into the manual position you can change up and down gears by pushing lever forward and back and gearbox stays in manual mode and holds the gear selection, but it will prevent over reving or stalling by changing gear. If you leave the lever in auto drive and use paddles then you can change up and down manually, if you don’t change for about 15 seconds then it revert to auto mode.
Michael_G

Post by Michael_G »

Very helpful post.

I'm hoping our 1.0 tsi DSG arrives early April.

Could I widen the question out to ask/clarify what the routine is with the electronic brake on the DSG?

TIA.
Mike
Had 11 plate Yeti 1.2tsi DSG
Got 16 plate Yeti 1.2tsi DSG to be p/x
For 1.0 tsi DSG Karoq
Simonrich

Post by Simonrich »

Do you mean the electronic hand / parking brake ?
Womanofkent

Post by Womanofkent »

There are 2 electronic brakes on the DSG. The hand/foot brake equivalent when you stop the engine and park, plus there is the brake when you stop accelerating or on a hill. This one can be turned off, I am used to a manual car and when parking being able to stop and then edge further into a space I am finding that the automatic brake switches on and then I have to accelerate slightly harder than I want to, to get it to switch off and move the car. This may just be getting used to the accelerator a bit more and learning to creep the car, there seems to be a fine line between slowing down enough and allowing the car to creep and stopping which switches on the brake. As I say it can be switched off on the infotainment screen and there are 2 switches for the 2 brakes in front of the gear stick which you can use if necessary. I hope this answers your question?
Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG Edition, Quartz Grey, towbar, heated windscreen and nozzles since 1 Feb 2018 new to the Skoda brand
Michael_G

Post by Michael_G »

Thanks both. Yes, the equivalent to the handbrake. Had two DSG Yetis with a manual handbrake but sounds like I have a learning curve when the Karoq comes. I like to creep the car into a space by just slightly holding it on the footbrake but find the idea of having to boost the gas to switch off an automatic brake a tad disconcerting. Hopefully old dogs and new tricks is just a saying.
Mike
For 1.0 tsi DSG Karoq
Johnd5314

Post by Johnd5314 »

You will be able to do the same as you did in your Yeti - just release the electric parking brake and the car will creep. The Park Assist is optional, so turn it off. Its something you can use if you want to, but not if you don't.

In its basic form it is just a brake operated by an electric switch which you can set and release just like a handbrake. It has the added advantage that if you try and drive off when it is set, it will release automatically.
Michael_G

Post by Michael_G »

Won't have Park Assist, but the rest is reassuring. So I'd have manual on/off just like the lever.

"It has the added advantage that if you try and drive off when it is set, it will release automatically."

So, in our DSG, foot on footbrake to start the engine, shift from Park to Drive/Reverse, release footbrake, e-handbrake switches off.

I might get to like this :D
Mike
For 1.0 tsi DSG Karoq
Simonrich

Post by Simonrich »

There is also the hill hold brake which is standard fit, this holds till you drive off and will need a bit of gas to disengage, you are best switching it off to park and creep with the dsg.
Johnd5314

Post by Johnd5314 »

Michael G - essentially yes, but you will probably need just a touch of accelerator to release the parking brake.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post