Rear Bumper Protector/Scratch Guard (chrome?)

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
frankstar

Post by frankstar »

I've has my Karoq for just over a month and so far I'm loving it. Moved from an Audi Q2 as I needed a bit more space for my dog in the boot - he's loving the new car too!

I was wondering if anyone had a rear bumper protector they could recommend to prevent scratches when the dog is jumping in and out of the boot. I've seen a few in a chrome look and wasn't sure if they would look any good.

I've got a Quartz Grey edition so if anyone has that colour or similar with a chrome protector it would be great to see how they look.

Thanks!

Patr

Post by Patr »

Hi

Exactly the same thought process I went through last week with my new Karoq, also Quartz metallic. I did a bit of research and looked at various makes and plastic/stainless and decided on the Skoda OEM black plastic one. It hasn't yet arrived to give my thoughts but I saw a Blue Karoq with a stainless steel one and whilst it serves the same purpose, it looked a bit out of place on the black bumper top and seems to be a tad shorter than the Skoda OEM plastic one.

Richard Grant mouldings do one specifically for a Karoq but as it was a similar price, I plumped for the Skoda one. The stainless steel ones seem to vary dramatically in price, and I would suspect, fit and quality.

Like colour, it is all very subjective but it is an essential item especially as my two Rotties enjoy leaping in and out.

I am sure you already have a dog guard but I went down a similar route of research looking at the Travall (Skoda dealer supplied plus markup or bought cheaper direct!), the Guardsman (OOS), the OEM Skoda one which requires a dealer fit and leaves drill holes and the EgoTech headrest mounted one.

EgoTech arrived today, fitted in 10 minutes without any drilling or bracket feet resting on trims and can be folded up when seat backs are folded down or removed in seconds and left on the floor. Cracking bit of kit.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

You can buy clear plastic adhesive protectors from various outlets. Manufacturers usually rip you off about £60 for a 3ft strip! They are cheaper elsewhere.
I have a Sportline, painted bumpers, so even more reason to look after them.
I use a piece of non skid matting covered with an old towel. Just flip it over the bumper before dog gets in or out. 'Simply clever' and almost free! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184678147573 ... SwqTVgNM8X

You can also get a 'boot-bag with a built in flap that does the same thing.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Pragmatix55

Post by Pragmatix55 »

kodiaq wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:01 pm You can buy clear plastic adhesive protectors from various outlets. Manufacturers usually rip you off about £60 for a 3ft strip! They are cheaper elsewhere.
I have a Sportline, painted bumpers, so even more reason to look after them.
I use a piece of non skid matting covered with an old towel. Just flip it over the bumper before dog gets in or out. 'Simply clever' and almost free! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184678147573 ... SwqTVgNM8X

You can also get a 'boot-bag with a built in flap that does the same thing.
Man after my own heart, that what I do
Must be mad not enough money to be eccentric
frankstar

Post by frankstar »

Thanks for the suggestions. I was mostly likely going to get an ebay option or some adhesive but wan wondering if there was a way to add some 'styling' with chrome. Probably agree with Patr though that it's a bit much of a contrast against the Quarts Grey.

Also thanks for the recommendations on dog guard, it's on my list to get. Just haven't been rushed to find one yet as we tethered a dog lead around one of the rear seats and clip him to that so we can't be accused of not restraining our dog in the car. He's so good though and just curls up, hasn't attempted any houdini acts from the boot yet. I'm contemplating a boot crate or some form or guard with divider so we can put luggage in the boot on one side and labrador in other.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

PLEASE tell me you tether him to a harness. NOT HIS COLLAR!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Pragmatix55

Post by Pragmatix55 »

A crate is the best thing, my seats are out in my car and the dogs crate is up behind the front seats, now I did have it in the boot but I missed having the boot space, I had to make a big of floor to cover the gap. The Fords get a better ride there too.
The main danger with unrestrained dogs in a car is if god forbid you are in an accident, Enegency service open the car panicked dog jumps out and either runs off or gets run over I've seen it too many times.
frankstar

Post by frankstar »

kodiaq wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:08 am PLEASE tell me you tether him to a harness. NOT HIS COLLAR!
Yes to a harness. It's not doing any restraining though, like I said he just gets in the boot and curls up right by the backseats
Pragmatix55

Post by Pragmatix55 »

Don't know why my post says Fords it should be dogs , can't find the edit button
Pragmatix55

Post by Pragmatix55 »

frankstar wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:28 pm
kodiaq wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:08 am PLEASE tell me you tether him to a harness. NOT HIS COLLAR!
Yes to a harness. It's not doing any restraining though, like I said he just gets in the boot and curls up right by the backseats
So many dogs travel loose, it's good he's safe.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post