Skoda Connect - don't think I'll bother

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
jjg70

Post by jjg70 »

Before commencing the procedure for Skoda Connect, I've had a good read about it in the owners manual. I'm afraid it wasn't long before I was completely baffled.
At the age of 70, I'm obviously not part of the I.T. generation, but I've always bumbled along, having had to get to grips with it with my last job - believe it or not, I was a Computer Operator in the early 70's in the days when a computer occupied a room the size of a school gym. I should say that I only lasted a couple of years as I wasn't very good at it.
I'm reluctant to start the process with the Connect app in case I end up doing something terrible, screw it up completely and end up not being able to get things back to normal.
All I could do with is some advice as to whether I'll be terribly or slightly disadvantaged by not having it.
Should I bite the bullet and try doing it?
Is it not as bad as I think it is?

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Fear not! You are not the only one.
It may have improved, but is 17 when I had my spanking new Kodiaq it was rubbish.
You only get it free for 1 year then it is extortionately expensive.
Play if you wish, but if it starts giving you brain freeze, don't feel badly about giving up, you wont miss much!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I have not bothered with Skoda Connect as nobody has been able to suggest anything even remotely useful that it could do for me. I'm afraid that it feels like a "got to have one of these" feature driven by marketing types who have forgotten that the primary function of a car is to provide transport.

I never did bother to look and see how much Skoda charge for it; is it expensive?

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

When I bought my Karoq the dealer took me through setting it up. Never used it.

Recently I bought a cheap genuine data plug on Ebay to give the Connect Lite app a try.

I like It. I like the "Trip" detail which includes the route taken on Google maps, the way it shows your mileage and judges your driving style (gentle for me).

I had some initial problems setting it up but it works OK.

tom
(past 3 score years and 10, and counting)
....and today was a good day in the life of....
jjg70

Post by jjg70 »

Thanks for your feedback.
I found an excuse for a good long drive today and found it totally enjoyable.
The satnav, which I found excellent, took me through some country roads.
I overcooked one sweeping left hander and instead of easing off, I gunned it round the corner and despite a sharp intake of breath from the passenger seat, it held perfectly, without any wallowing or understeer.
What a nice motor!
I think I'll continue enjoying the driving experience and I'm not yet senile enough to forget where I park it, so the Connect app will have to wait until I'm really bored.
Demport

Post by Demport »

sanqhar wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:39 pm When I bought my Karoq the dealer took me through setting it up. Never used it.

Recently I bought a cheap genuine data plug on Ebay to give the Connect Lite app a try.

I like It. I like the "Trip" detail which includes the route taken on Google maps, the way it shows your mileage and judges your driving style (gentle for me).

I had some initial problems setting it up but it works OK.

tom
(past 3 score years and 10, and counting)
I can see that a data plug costs circa £38 - but is there a subscription cost as well? Thanks
22MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG - 71 registered

Replaced 19MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG 4x4 - 69 registered
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I think the annual sub for the connect app is about £65 , that's why very few bother!
I think the road holding for both Kodiaq & Karoq having owned one of the former and three of the latter, is astounding for such tall vehicles. I have never gone into a corner and thought 'OH SH*t' halfway round. Even (also at 3 score +10 and counting). I have never been accused of hanging around.
I do have the benefit of Shell's obsession with road safety and high levels of defensive driving training up to Police class 2, and ex IAM instructor, so although 'As fast as is safely possible', (quote Police driving manual) I am not a prat! :lol:
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Demport wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:09 am
I can see that a data plug costs circa £38 - but is there a subscription cost as well? Thanks
No the Connect Lite app for the dataplug is completely free.

I used the equivalent on my previous Golf SV for years with no problem.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Heybooboo

Post by Heybooboo »

I picked up a VW dataplug for £4.75 of eBay, plugged in, installed the app, followed the instructions to the letter and it updated the firmware and works like a charm so much better than Skoda connect which is not worth the cost.
Kodiaq Scout 1.4tsi 4x4
Edition 1.5tsi dsg due in June.
Petrol blue, cream leather, spare wheel, virtual cockpit, heated windscreen + steering wheel, driver assistance, scuff plates and personalized drive mode...
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Heybooboo wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:40 pm I picked up a VW dataplug for £4.75 of eBay, plugged in, installed the app, followed the instructions to the letter and it updated the firmware and works like a charm so much better than Skoda connect which is not worth the cost.
Don't forget you get it free for the first year now (it changed for MY21 cars). Skoda UK obviously want you to get used to having it on the car. I've also heard that you get offered a discount when it's time to renew the licence.

At the moment it seems that you need a Connect licence to update maps online for MY21 cars, although there is some talk about being able to add updated maps via the USB-C port in the future.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post