Crunching gearbox

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Mark7

Post by Mark7 »

Hi all - new member with a puzzling problem.

Took delivery of a brand new Skoda Karoq Sportline 1.5 manual Petrol in October. From week one I have been getting a crunching sound coming from the gearbox when I am shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear. This only happens when the engine is cold ie overnight or left for several hours. It disappears within a couple of minutes of driving the car - engine warmed up possibly ?. Even with my foot/clutch nearly forced through the footwell the problem is still there.

As this is my first ever new car I thought maybe it would just fade away with time - no such luck. Taken it back to Skoda who apparently cannot replicate the fault. First time they actually tested for the fault while the engine was still warm (despite me telling them it's only when cold) !! Second time it was left at the garage overnight and they still can't find the fault. It was frosty overnight and they were a bit evasive when I asked if they had had the engine running to scrape the frost off the windows. Obviously if yes they won't find the fault. I am currently not a happy first-time Skoda owner.

Anyone heard of or had this problem at all ?

Thanks in advance

Mark7

sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Take it back again and this time put a cover on the screen.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

And don't take any cr@p from the dealer. If it doesn't get sorted contact Skoda and ask to speak to a Customer Services. MANAGER, NOT the person that answers the 'phone.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Mark7

Post by Mark7 »

Having to resort to my wife taking a video of the crunching gearbox sound first thing in the mornings. I am then sending to Skoda on Saturday. I find it incredulous that they can't find this fault. It is plain as day - both my wife and I can hear it.

Spoke to the Manager who said he had personally driven the car for 4 miles and "it was the smoothest gearbox in any car he has driven". This irritated me no end up quite frankly. When I explained my astonishment at not being able to replicate the fault and the fact I'd never had a problem in 35 years of driving other cars, he cut me off with "irrespective of your driving experience, I can't find any fault".

This has not endeared me into wanting to buy another Skoda.
Mike sandy

Post by Mike sandy »

As Kodiaq has said
Ring customer services and follow up with emails , let them know how this whole event of not been able to sort the problemt out for you is making you feel let down and disapointed , its your first new car and it shouldn't be like this.
They have the ability to put pressure on the dealer .
Keep pressing your point home and don't take no for an answer until it gets sorted .
Best of luck
Regards mike
Karoq 1.5 SE with tow bar
Dark blue metallic
Mark7

Post by Mark7 »

Hi all,

Took videos of the gearbox crunching on Saturday morning. Duly sent these through to the servicer manager at Skoda dealer. They had to forward to Skoda UK Technical via a Diss report. This is their process for reporting a defect to the manufacturer. Service manager stated "There are no repair instructions for that gearbox so we will ask the process/procedure for rectification".

Reply back today from service manager (Thurs 21st) "Skoda technical have instructed us to order a replacement gearbox for your vehicle ..."

Quite frankly I'm not happy with Skoda at all. This car has not been fit for purpose since we took delivery. In the space of a couple of weeks we have had to replace juddering, defective wiper blades (common problem apparently due to poor OEM blades), replaced both rear brake pads and now a full gearbox replacement !! This car is less than four months old. I'm paying for a brand new car that has had multiple faults from the off.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 states products, amongst other points, must be of satisfactory quality - Definitely not !!

Not sure whether I will be able to refuse this repair or not - any advice ?

Thanks
24 VRT

Post by 24 VRT »

You may be able to try rejecting the car at up to 6 months old - seems Skoda accept the gearbox was faulty from new and hence willing to replace it. My view would be to let them replace the gearbox assuming all your other niggles have been sorted. If the gearbox is your only remaining issue then presumably if that is corrected you will end up with a car you are happy with. Rejection just means you'd at best get your money back and would then have to start the purchase process all over again - and potentially finding a whole new set of issues to have to address on another car.
RossIvanov

Post by RossIvanov »

Mark7 what is going on with your car issue ?
CJMitchell

Post by CJMitchell »

I had exactly the same issue you described. Took over a hear of messing about but eventually got a new gearbox. Its still really notchy (which is a thing with Skoda boxes) but at least the crunching has gone. Wont be getting another.