Karoq SE L 70 Plate-Amundsen Infotainment

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
jhd

Post by jhd »

Hi All - just taken delivery of brand new 70 Plate SE L. The car looks like it is going to be really good once I can get to grips with the Infotainment system. The User Manual is absolutely shocking on this subject;

There are lots of instructions on what a button does but no info on the procedure to say 'add a new destination', change the name of a destination.

Very limited info on file structure for the Media player and absolutely nothing about how to set up Playlists.

All the videos on the Amundsen on YouTube all relate to older models of the Amundsen and nowhere can I find anything that relates to how to set up a newer system.

Can anyone please provide or point me towards a detailed comprehensive guide.

Thanks

JHD

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Not yet is the answer I think. The MY21 Karoq has the new MIB3 software, but in the older MIB2 hardware. So although the Kamiq has been using the MIB3 software for some time, it also has newer hardware and the instructions for that don't always carry over too well. And if you look at Kamiq forums, you'll find several threads reporting bugs there too.

Page 127 of the digital manual seems to show you adding a new destination is the 'Search' Input line, but it's not clear how you store it for later use, or edit it.

PS: having now downloaded the Kamiq manual to see if it is any better, I'm finding it to be a carbon copy of the Karoq's when it explains the Amundsen. So while the instructions are no clearer, at least any video explanations for the Kamiq should be applicable :)
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
jhd

Post by jhd »

Hi CJJE - Many thanks for the suggestion to have a look at Kamiq videos - will do.
While I am really pleased with my new Karoq I am absolutely disgusted with the customer support provided by Skoda for this infotainment system. In the good old days of 40 years ago car enthusiasts used to gather round the bonnet of a new car and talk about everything to do with the engine, performance and ride comfort - now, when all those technical details are normally very good, and very much the same on a lot of vehicles, the main topic for conversation is what can the infotainment system do! Come on Skoda - get a grip!
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

I'm afraid marketing trumps ergonomics now. They seem to think youngsters will only buy cars that can pretend their mobile phones, and forget that we have to drive cars safely!
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Foxy

Post by Foxy »

Hi jhd. Did you get this problem sorted? I ask for 2 reasons. First, wouldn't a dealer be able to give you some help with this? I know ideally you shouldn't have to take it back to a dealer but it would be strange if they didn't know how the infotainment system worked.
Secondly, I have an SE Drive on order which has the Amundsen satnav and was going to ask people on here how people found it to use, whenI saw this post. A couple of reviews I've seen criticise it for giving strange routes and not keeping up with traffic delays. Having said that if it has Smartlink I guess you can just use the navigation app on your phone!
Quartz Grey SE Drive 1.5TSI 150PS DSG. Heated windscreen & front seats, variable boot floor, Electrically operated boot, wireless charging.
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

The problem is that the latest cars have the new generation MIB3 infotainment system, and I'm guessing it's caught Skoda UK and the dealers on the hop as no-one seems to understand it! There are significant differences in the use interface menus, and some previous options (like instructing it to switch to an FM signal if a station's DAB signal fades out) aren't present any more.

And you can't load your own station logos via the USB ports if it can't find them online. I've been pursuing this with Skoda UK, and am waiting for a call back from their 'multi-media' experts. I've also found that the Media player will play music and videos from a USB memory stick, but not still images for some reason (which may or may not be related to the failure to see radio logos).

The navigation system will find addresses, postcodes and lat/long coords, but doesn't have a menu to find POIs near a destination as far as I can see. And if you choose your 6 favourite POI categories, you see those as icons, but it will only list those within 20 miles or so.

It desperately needs a better manual, but even the latest 2020/11 issue hasn't changed this from the 2020/07 issue.

Chris
1stkaroq

Post by 1stkaroq »

Have just taken delivery of a SE Drive and find you cannot input six digit post code, it will only show off-road and give coordinates. I have spoken to the dealer who checked on their cars and they are the same, apparently if you want to know you have inputted the correct address you have to zoom into you destination and check it’s right. Unfortunately if this is the standard of what they fit into the car it makes me worry about what else they have done, questioning if I would have been better going for a Kia Sportage and got an extra 4yrs warranty and a sat nav that works, Simply clever, I don’t think so, should be changed to simply stupid.
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Skoda can only fit the system provided by the VAG designers, so it's not their fault.

This is a design fault introduced when VAG mover to their 3rd generation systems (MIB3) and you can find similar complaints in SEAT and VW forums all across Europe. Make an official complaint to your dealer and make sure he reports it to Skoda UK. If enough owners complain, then perhaps VAG will escalate the problem to a software designer once they've got the software in their new electric cars sorted out.

Chris
1stkaroq

Post by 1stkaroq »

How did anyone at VW think this was OK, I have complained to Skoda customer services but he said there was no plans to do anything about it and it was a deliberate decision to use coordinates rather than postcodes.
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

We need to tell the motoring magazines which are still praising VAG cars. Once they spread the word that buyers of new cars are resorting to Google maps or TomToms instead of the built-in satnavs, perhaps VAG will listen!

Chris

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post