Hardwire dashcam earth

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Richiej64

Post by Richiej64 »

Just got round to permanently hard wiring in my Nextbase dashcam. Wired all ok to fuse box behind glovebox.
2 questions
1. What is the best fuse to piggyback on to ? I’m thinking cigarette socket? Perm or switched live ?
2. It’s all plastic behind there, where can I attach an Earth to ?
TIA my virtual fwiends

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

If you hard wire to the fuses it will put 12volts through your camera which is invariably built to work on FIVE volts. You can work out the result! Although it may take a few months to actually kill it. Check the camera to make sure.
If it is a 5 volt then you MUST fit a voltage dropper (Ebay). I think the n/s end cover to the dash board can be prized off (I may be getting confused with Yeti. It is nearly 4 years since I owned a KodIaq.
If it can be, you will find a handy bolt which you can LOOSEN (DO NOT REMOVE) to fit an open spade terminal under.
The 12v socket is permanently live, so if you forget to unplug it you will get loads of unwanted pics of the cars surroundings.

The way I do it is to get a lead with a USB plug and plug it into the USB port on the centre console, you can hide the wire so that only the least few inches are visible.
The advantage being that ....
!. USB is ignition controlled &
2. it is FIVE volts.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Tonyrans

Post by Tonyrans »

i piggy backed of 37 (rear wiper) had no problems turns off when i turn car off and comes on when i start