Potential 1 yr old Karoq Sportline purchase

New to the Skoda Karoq Forums? Introduce yourself here
Nobbysnuts

Post by Nobbysnuts »

Hi

My names is Andy and I've just registered on your site.

I found this great forum when trying to find out as much as possible about the karoq.
I have a 1.4 150bhp mk3 octavia which I'm thinking of trading in and purchasing a Karoq Sportline, probably a low mileage one at about a year old. The Octavia is a great car, economical , good to drive and quick with loads of space but I want to change to a SUV and a panoramic roof and the Sportline trim dsg petrol Karoq seems to tick all the boxes.
My dilema is :
The fuel economy of the 1.5 petrol will be better than the 2.00 petrol but if the real world average mpg is only say 7-8 mpg difference I would prefer the larger engine. The main concern is over the number of reports of the 1.5 engine having problems. This will be a big ticket purchase for us and I don't want to encounter potential issues. Additionally the 1.5 model seems to have super low profile 40 depth tyres rather than 45section that are on the 2.00 litre petrol. My Octavia has a has a hard ride and 45 profile tyres so 40 profile may give an even harder ride still ?
The larger engine model does sound as if it is very smooth at all speeds and has a decent turn ride of pace when required and just happens to be 4wd.
Any thoughts / guidance would be appreciated.

johns6809

Post by johns6809 »

I have just taken delivery of a new 1.5tsi sportline with the ultra low profile tyres. I find the engine very smooth and quite. The ride is no problem either.
Nobbysnuts

Post by Nobbysnuts »

Thanks for replying. That's great to hear. I've seen so many posts on the internet regarding problems with hesitating and jumping at low speed with the 1.5 engines that I've become a bit paranoid.
johns6809

Post by johns6809 »

Nobbysnuts wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:24 pm Thanks for replying. That's great to hear. I've seen so many posts on the internet regarding problems with hesitating and jumping at low speed with the 1.5 engines that I've become a bit paranoid.
All that with the 1.5 has been ironed out with software updates as far as i know. The one i have is fine,
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Nobby, welcome to the forum.
I am on my 8th Skoda and on my 3rd Karoq. I have had all 3 with the 1.5 DSG.
FIRSTLY.... Unless you are buying an early 18 reg you must disregard any fairytales about the 1.5 kangarooing. It was only first half of 18 where the kangaroo was in evidence. My first Karoq (SE L) was early 18 and did suffer slightly. The problem was mainly on manuals. My second (Edition) was faultless.
My 3 and current (Sportline 4 months old) is fine.
A cautionary tale!
Which brings me onto the 'rubber bands' they fit to the rims. They are a complete joke. I am involved in a HUGE argument with Skoda at the moment as there is no way out of the problem. I bought the car from a dealer I have dealt with for 12 years. I have always wanted Race blue and I bought it undriven and unseen as I have 100% faith in my dealer.
H O W E V E R! I never realised that Skoda (along with many other European manufactures) have got an insane lust to fit such skinny rubber to everything including SUVs.
I have to park in a road when I walk my dog at least twice a day and I have already curbed the N/S/F.
Admittedly I am not in the first flush of youth and I have a bad back. As far as I am concerned the ride is completely UNACCEPTABLE!
TheEdition had 45 aspect and was a bit better but still not brilliant.
If you hit a decent pot hole you may well write off the tyre AND damage the rim. (Tyre £168. rim £280)
Even if you fit 45 aspect tyres to the Sportline it will ..........
1. Make your speedo under read which is ILLEGAL! To make it legal you have to drop from 225 to 215 tyres.
Skoda in their usual dictatorial manner will NOT ALLOW even your dealer to recalibrate the speedo without causing the warranty to become nul and void.
If you really DON'T mind all my comments re tyres, you can buy mine at a bargain price. I will even knock £50 off to have the rim sorted out.
I wish I had never bought the bloody thing and until Skoda grow up and stop being very silly and fit proper tyres to their cars I will NOT be buying another.
BTW, apart from the rubber bands the car is an absolute cracker!
For more tyre detail have a look at my comments here.
https://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/thread ... ost-139117
It contains all sorts of useful data regarding tyre and rim sizes.
Whatever you decide to do, I am sure you will enjoy what is basically a cracking car ruined by Skodas stupidity.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Nobbysnuts

Post by Nobbysnuts »

I am thinking then perhaps the 2.00 tsi may be the way to go as it has 225/45 r19 tyres as standard. I also understand from some reviews that the 4wd versions have a slightly different suspension set up which seems to make the ride more compliant.
The only thing with the larger engine is the worse fuel economy which i think i can live with as i only do about 9000 miles per year split 50% urban 50% long trips.
It would be interesting to hear from other owners of the larger engine petrol sportline of their views of comfort and fuel economy.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Nobby, Are you an insomniac, or is your forum clock wrong? 02.34??
I found the 4wd Edition more comfortable than my current sport line, albeit with the latter being on 40s and the Edition being on 45. I HATE the 40s!! I am seriously considering buying so 17inch Raticlans with 55 section just to make the ride (and the non curbing) acceptable.
Consumption on both 2wd and 4wd ,both 1.5 DSG, almost identical.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Nobbysnuts

Post by Nobbysnuts »

:lol:
Not sure how my previous post time came about !
Would love to hear fuel economy figures from members with a 2.0 tsi sportline though as that is the engine / drive configuration that appeals to me.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post