Speed rating on tyres fitted to new cars

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
ElginCityBlue

Post by ElginCityBlue »

So I've had my Karoq for 3 months now, and due to Cover-19, I've done a grand total of 710 miles. Imagine my annoyance when I notice a screw in my rear tyre, too close to the edge to be repaired.

Looking at the tyres fitted to the car, they're Bridgestone Turanza T005, with a speed rating is Y (which states a maximum speed of 186mph). I just wondered why they didn't fit W (maximum speed 168mph). The W tyre would have been £15 cheaper for a like-for-like replacement. Following an old second hand car years ago, I'm not going for different speed ratings on tyres.

I can't see my Karoq ever doing more than 168mph, even when heading down a German Autobahn!

Photo 22-06-2020, 21 27 10.jpg

Karoq Edition | 1.5 TSI DSG | Quartz Grey

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Many years ago I queried this with my Citroen dealer, and was told that the different speed ratings also determine how much torque the tyre will take safely. So even though you will never travel at the tyre's speed rating (or even be able to) sometimes these tyres are needed for safety. However for a 1.5TSI car that does seem a bit extreme I agree :)

Perhaps other reasons are to cut down the variety of tyres being stocked in the factory, or because the tyre manufacturer doesn't make all sizes in all speed ratings, or because different speed ratings have differing comfort or economy properties?

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
DSL

Post by DSL »

Is that screw puncture capable of being repaired via proper tyre shop that can do that type of repair? Had similar on a tyre, my regular tyre shop sent me to a local place that did vulcanised repairs and it was good as new.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Try going to another tyre shop. That doesn't look too near the edge to me. Try Bathwick if you have one near you. I have always found them first class.
Being of a suspicious mind....I wonder, if due to covid and lack of business they might be trying it on to bolster their cash flow.
I igonored my TPW and ran a front tyre ragged and i had to have a Continental as tyre of the correct size for the Edition are not that common and it was the only lame they had. Moral... even if you thjnk the TPW is erroneous....check it. My stupidity cost me £185!!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
ElginCityBlue

Post by ElginCityBlue »

Thanks for the advice of taking it to a place like Bathwick, fortunately I didn't need to. I had it booked into National and the screw was only a short one so hadn't completely pierced the tyre.

Glad it's sorted though, the car's getting its first proper run next week, off to Poland so we'll see how comfortable it is for a 2 day drive. I'm already loving the adaptive cruise control.
Karoq Edition | 1.5 TSI DSG | Quartz Grey

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post