Cannot make my mind up?

New to the Skoda Karoq Forums? Introduce yourself here
silverhairs

Post by silverhairs »

Hi to all members,
At the moment I have a VW 2018 Polo 115, DSG. The Mrs has a bad hip and finds getting out over the seat bolsters difficult.
I'm either looking at a VW T-Cross or a Karoq or Kamiq.
With the T-Cross it has the same dash as the Polo, so I might be sitting higher, it will seem the same car, but I do like the Karoq and the Kamiq both very nice cars, including the height of the seats, making it easier for the Mrs to exit.
I will keep an eye on the posts and may ask a few questions.
Many thanks
silverhairs

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Welcome.
Not that I'm biased (not much after 7 Skodas!!)
Be careful when considering the T-Roc. It has been slammed by the motoring press as having a rather cheap and nasty interior full of 'hard, scratchy' plastic and more importantly it has just appeared in the What Car list of the 25 top unreliable cars. VWs are generally 20-30% more expensive than equivalent Skodas. The latter being generally considered to be better put together.
Skoda have consistently come out with cars of the year with both Kodiaq and Karoq. Kamiq is too young to have been considered.
Just as an aside.......how. tall is your wife? I have a 5'2" female friend who had difficulty getting into the Kamiq as the cill is particularly wide. She has no problem getting into my Karoq or the Kodiaq in the past.
I have driven 'tall cars' for years as I had a hip replaced 25 years ago and revised in Dec 18. I have now been diagnosed with stenosis of the spine so I am stuck with tall cars for life now.
Please feel free to ask any questions you think of.
Good luck in your search.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
silverhairs

Post by silverhairs »

Thank you Colin for your reply, like yourself, I had a hip replacement about 5/6 years ago, and it's been fine, no trouble what's so ever, and to be honest, I like the taller motors. There's only the Mrs and I, so to go for a really big motor would be a waste of space just on us two, also there's the parking. As cars have got bigger, the parking spaces have stayed the same.
Again your right on the different price structures between the VW brand and the Skoda Brand.
Many moons ago, I was in the market for a Yeti when they first came out. When we went to put the money down, I asked the sales guy "how long is the wait?" When I was told one year, I got my coat and went home!
When I purchased my Polo they told me about 3 months, that turned out to be 9 months, I don't like queuing in supermarkets, so 9 months really p***** me off, but it's a nice ride.

How is the 1.5 engine with the DSG box? As VW won't put them in the Polo as they say it gives a jerky ride, they say "not compatible" ?
Hampshirelad

Post by Hampshirelad »

Having just joined the forum. I noticed the final line from "silverhairs"

I took a Karoq SEL DSG 1.5 for a test drive in the New Forest this week. I have always driven a manual and the only time I have driven an automatic was in the USA when I took the family to Disney some 25 years ago.

I took to it without problems. Very smooth takeaway, although braking was a lot more sensitive than my Ford. I have seen this comment before about jerky ride so was looking for it.

The only problem was forgetting to change up ! when i got back in my manual
draig

Post by draig »

The only problem was forgetting to change up when i got back in my manual
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has this problem! :lol: :lol: :lol:
AKA Dai, deepest darkest Wales
Karoq Scout 4x4 2.0 TDI 150hp
Black Magic (Pearl)
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Hampshirelad wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:57 pm I took a Karoq SEL DSG 1.5 for a test drive in the New Forest this week.
Buying from Meadens I presume? The best Skoda dealer for miles around. I live in Poole and travel to Meadens to buy and service. Six Skodas from them so far.
Wouldn't touch the Bournemouth dealer with a barge pole!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Hampshirelad

Post by Hampshirelad »

Thanks Kodiak

You are quite right and Meadens have been there a long time so they must be doing something right. Looking at the Bournemouth dealer, the Wallisdown Rd is like a race track and not the best place to start a test drive. However there do seem to be some sizeable discounts available on a new Edition, coupled with a cash payments to dealers from Skoda. The cut of for this is registration by 31st March. This is for both cash and finance deals. When I mentioned this to Meadens in a non confrontational way they got quite "sniffy" about it and the conversation stopped there.

Another dealer was more welcoming coupled with an indicative decent part exchange price. Ok its always the price to change, so I shall have to follow it up. There was a positive mention about the Aldershot Branch of that Group in a previous post.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

silverhairs wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:36 pm

How is the 1.5 engine with the DSG box? As VW won't put them in the Polo as they say it gives a jerky ride, they say "not compatible" ?
All 7 of my Skodas have been DSG. Fabia, 3 yetis, Kodiaq, Karoq SE L and KAroq Edition.
BRILLIANT gear box, no jerks at all. Go for it!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Hampshirelad wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:46 pm Thanks Kodiak

You are quite right and Meadens have been there a long time so they must be doing something right. Looking at the Bournemouth dealer, the Wallisdown Rd is like a race track and not the best place to start a test drive. However there do seem to be some sizeable discounts available on a new Edition, coupled with a cash payments to dealers from Skoda. The cut of for this is registration by 31st March. This is for both cash and finance deals. When I mentioned this to Meadens in a non confrontational way they got quite "sniffy" about it and the conversation stopped there.

Another dealer was more welcoming coupled with an indicative decent part exchange price. Ok its always the price to change, so I shall have to follow it up. There was a positive mention about the Aldershot Branch of that Group in a previous post.
Very sorry to hear about Meadens, most unlike any experience I have had. with them. I wonder who you spoke to?
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.