Sat Nav update difficulties

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Mel5454

Post by Mel5454 »

My car is a “68 plate” Karoq 1.5 SLi with Amundsen Infosystem fitted. At the recent 10,000 service I enquired about a SatNav update and was told that the dealer does not do it due to poor broadband speed at his premises, however it is quite straightforward to do, follow the Skoda download portal instructions, and ensure that a very large SD card is available (32GB).

I followed the instructions on the Skoda download portal, ie downloaded the zipped files and extracted them onto my 32GB SD card. However when inserting the SD card into slot 1, a message “Navigational Database is not available” appeared.

Spent more time looking on the internet, and it appears that on other systems, the data is all held within the infotainment system, so a simple transfer of data from an updated SD card would work, however on the Amundsen system, it is the SD card that holds the data, and that the originally supplied Navigation SD card must always be in slot 1.

So tried to extract the downloaded zip file onto the Navigation SD card, but received a message“not enough memory left on card – need an additional 4GB”. (the original SD is 16GB). I had anticipated the "this file already exists do you want to overwrite it" messages would appear but the system did not even try to start extracting.

Has anyone experienced this, and if so, how did you resolve it?

Mel5454

MGS_31

Post by MGS_31 »

Hi, Check out this thread on Briskoda https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/475699-sat-nav-maps-update/page/3/#comments it should cover off what you are asking about.
The files should fit on a 16GB SD Card, but only just.
Hope this helps.
Mel5454

Post by Mel5454 »

Hi,

Thanks for the link - however not being a computer expert, i thought that if you re-format an SD card, everything is wiped, and it will become a virgin SD card, which will not have the "special" Skoda bit that tells the car it actually is a navigation card.
I realise there are individuals who have done this, but I think I'll make sure my dealer covers this for me.
I do appreciate your finding the link, but it has given me cause for concern.
Mel
Mel5454

Post by Mel5454 »

Hi MGS_31

Even though you had told me page 3, I never thought to go back and read pages 1 and 2 to see what the suggestion actually was. ((Something to do with "old age never comes alone") Having now read, and understood, I will put the new "maps" folder on the Skoda SD card without doing any formatting, but with making a back-up copy of the original "maps" folder.
Apologies for my earlier reply, and thanks for the help, I'll post the result tomorrow
Mel
Mel5454

Post by Mel5454 »

Hi MGS_31

It now works - thanks very much for the information - it is obvious that Skoda did not think to cover both types of SatNav in their "how to update" section.

Happy New Year

Mel
MGS_31

Post by MGS_31 »

Hi Mel5454, Glad you managed to get sorted. I linked to the Page 3 as it had the specific information about your issue. But I agree, sometimes our age lets us down (we seem to forget the obvious things under our nose, especially myself!)
Anyway, your now sorted with the latest maps. So that's good.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post