Space Saver Wheel Option - Steel space-saving spare wheel - 125/70 R18

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
MGS_31

Post by MGS_31 »

Hi, I am finalising my Karoq 1.5TSI SE L with DSG order tomorrow, and cannot seem to find out what the (Steel space-saving spare wheel - 125/70 R18) Tyre Kit actually includes.

Can anyone on here confirm what you actually get with this Skoda Option (what are all the parts supplied)?
Is it just the Wheel and Tyre,
or Wheel, Tyre, Jack, Wheel Brace etc.
And do you get the Surrounding Boot Foam around the Tyre for the parts to fit into (if included).

Thanks to anyone for your help, the Dealer has been a bit vague, so far.

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

With all the spares I have had in the past I had all the kit you mention. I should check with the dealer to make sure, as Skoda are fairly well known for changing things with no warning and they have just published lists of changes in options for all models.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
MGS_31

Post by MGS_31 »

Thanks for the reply, yes I will try to have confirmed what is supplied.
Mark-Guildford

Post by Mark-Guildford »

I have the 1.5 petrol DSG SE-L with space saver spare wheel. We bought it new 6 months ago. It came with the skinny wheel and tyre set, jack, brace, plastic parts to hold it in place and support the boot floor in centre of the wheel, black polystyrene semi circular insert which fits round it in the boot space and holds the tools, and hardboard-backed boot floor which sits on top of it.
MGS_31

Post by MGS_31 »

Hi Mark, Thanks for the comprehensive explanation, it is appreciated. That is what I hoped would be included.
Will probably order the £150 18” Space Saver option then, as it comes as a complete kit.
Mark-Guildford

Post by Mark-Guildford »

MGS_31 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:25 am Hi Mark, Thanks for the comprehensive explanation, it is appreciated. That is what I hoped would be included.
Will probably order the £150 18” Space Saver option then, as it comes as a complete kit.
I actually wanted to get a full sized spare wheel, but it wasn’t an option when ordering it new. But I have actually just converted mine to a full size spare wheel last week. I’ll post some photos soon. But essentially, the only reason it’s not offered as an option at purchase seems to be that there is a piece of black polystyrene which goes across the boot along the back of the seats, behind the spare wheel. If you have the Varioflex seats (which I think are standard on the SE-L trim level), the design of those seats means that they interfere slightly with this piece of black polystyrene. Also, with this polystyrene piece in place, it’s almost impossible to access the handles for those seats. But I just used an extended Stanley knife blade to cut away a thin slither of polystyrene along the whole length, and then make an additional rectangular cut out behind the handle on each seat.

The Skoda part number for this boot kit for full-sized spare wheel is 57A093860A, and it cost me £77.50 + VAT from my local Skoda dealer. It includes the hardboard-backed boot floor, the 3 pieces of interlocking polystyrene which fit around the wheel, a plastic tubular part which goes through the centre of the wheel to hold it in place, some plastic clips to hold the polystyrene pieces in place, wheel jack and brace. It doesn’t include a wheel or tyre. A brand new 18” Braga wheel as fitted as standard on the SE-L trim costs about £200 + VAT from Skoda, but I managed to get a 2nd hand one from eBay for £90. You lose some of the boot depth if you do this. But personally, I thought it was worthwhile, in order to have a full-sized spare wheel in the car instead of a skinny one.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post