Cross climate tyres from Yeti to Karoq

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Jimmy of Whitby

Post by Jimmy of Whitby »

I was considering selling my 4 Goodyear 4-seasons tyres on Alutec rims to put towards buying cross climate tyres for the Karoq. However, I've contacted a local tyre depot and the K's 215/50/R18 tyres as X climates are not available from the major manufacturers in this size. However, when I did some calculations, the K's tyre circumference is 83.1" whilst the Yeti's 215/60/R16 is 82.1", so the speedo would be about 1% out. The question is therefore that the tyres were bought in October 2014 and have covered 11748 miles on the road. Over the last 56 months, they've been on our two Yetis for a total of 20 months, then stored in a dry garage on a wheel tree and covered to keep out the light. Tyres normally have a 5-year life but as these have been used as stated and no visible cracks or other damage is present, are they good for a few years?
Karoq SE L 1.5 TSi 150PS DSG business grey, front and rear dashcams, scuff plates, rubber mats, mud flaps, dog guard, spare wheel plus gunge and bottle jack and service pack.

sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

If the Yeti tyres are bigger then the Karoq speedo will under read. Speedos must never under read. They can legally over read but by not more than 10%.
Another factor is the wheel offset, the ET. The Yeti wheels will be substantially different from the Karoq. I think the Karoq ET is 45.
You will also need to tell your insurance company.
Tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
Jimmy of Whitby

Post by Jimmy of Whitby »

Thanks Tom. The Yeti tyres are 1" less in diameter.
Karoq SE L 1.5 TSi 150PS DSG business grey, front and rear dashcams, scuff plates, rubber mats, mud flaps, dog guard, spare wheel plus gunge and bottle jack and service pack.
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Jimmy of Whitby wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:27 am Thanks Tom. The Yeti tyres are 1" less in diameter.
So what is the ET difference?

Tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post