New Scout, New to Skoda, New to Auto, New to 4x4

New to the Skoda Karoq Forums? Introduce yourself here
Dan

Post by Dan »

Hi all,

Just ordered a new 1.5 TSI Skoda Scout 4x4 DSG in Quartz Grey with the virtual cockpit. Really excited because I've never owned a Skoda, a DSG/Auto or 4x4 before and as a result will probably have a few questions.

I'm coming from a 2014 1.6 Diesel C4 Grand Picasso (I've owned a few Picasso's) which has so much space and 7 seven seats but now our kids are in their late teens we don't really use the seats and can compromise a bit on the storage. The varioseat system reminds of the Renault Scenic and Citroen Picasso Mark 1 cars (I owned both) and overall I think removing seats is the best option rather than a complicated fold flat system (although the Karoq does that too).

We spent weeks looking around, trying different cars, test driving and we kept coming back to Skoda. It just felt better and more stylish than even the VW Tiguan and Seat Ateca on which they share so much. Each car Peugeot 3008, Hyundai Tucson, Renault Kadjar, Nissan Qashqai, Tiquan and Ateca had their own benefits and disadvantages and there are also huge differences in prices. I have lost a fair bit of cash on the Citroen really that we bought from new so I am pretty scared about spending so much money on the Karoq, I have never spent this kind of money on a car before but I hear that depreciation is slower than many other brands.

We then struggled to decide between the Kodiaq which we really liked for it's size but the Karoq Scout is better spec'd in my opinion than a Kodiaq SEL for similar money and when you start adding extra's to the Kodiaq it gets very expensive.

The car was already on it's way over to the UK when we found out about it so we should have it in about two weeks. The only extra is the virtual cockpit which I didn't think I would be too bothered about but having watched a few Youtube video's I think it will be a nice extra to have.

So thanks in advance for any future help or advice I get from here.

Dan

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Welcome to the forum.
I have had 7 Skodas all DSG and just bought my first 4x4 Karoq Edition.
The Skoda 4x4 is what is generally called a 'soft roader'. It will get you out of a wet field and up a gravel track, but don't start trying to do any serious off roading.
The Karoq Scout, unlike the Octavia Scout, does not have any more ground clearance than the ordinary Karoq.

The 4x4 system used is called the 'HALDEX' system. Used by many 'soft roaders' such as HONDA CR-v & HR-v.
Any questions ask away.
Have fun!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Dan

Post by Dan »

Hi and thanks for the reply... I don't plan on taking my Scout off road but it will be useful mainly in winter I guess.

Are you happy with your Edition? Be interested to know why you choose the Edition over say the Scout or Sportline. In our case the Scout had all the features we wanted and we liked the slightly more rugged look. The only aspect I'm not so keen on is the material used for the seats, it's probably very hard wearing but they do look rather plain.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Hello Dan,
So far so good! Funnily enough Meadens had a an emerald green Scout and the Petrol blue Edition.
I did look at the Scout and like you was not over exited about the grey and rust coloured seat material. It was cheaper than the Edition by about £250 , was pre-reg and only 50 miles with a tow bar (which I don't need)
I was p/x ing an emerald green SE L and although I did not mind the green, Petrol blue is my favourite colour, my 3rd Yeti was that colour.
The Edition has more tech than the Scout ( lane keep, blind spot+some more?) I think? I might be wrong, can't actually remember without trawling through the listings.
I prefer leather and mine has cream leather with the blue. My favourite combination.
I asked The dealer principal, who has always looked after me very well which one would be best to buy and he said "always go for the top model" So, considering all the above points (and the fact he knocked £600 off the Edition) I plumped for it. My main reason for changing was because the SE L did not have a pan roof, which I missed greatly. Cost me £8k to change, I must be bonkers
It was not a pre-reg though and had covered 1300 miles as it had been used by the service manager.
Just as an aside. The 2wd SE L did approx 33 mpg round town an approx 44 on a run. The 4wd Edition does about 30 round town and I have just done a 100mile trip cross country and driving through Lymington and Bournemouth and got 40.7 out of it. So 4wd is basically about 3mpg more greedy than the 2wd. I can live with that.
Bet you can't wait! ENJOY!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Dan

Post by Dan »

Haha... that panoramic roof is a big selling point, it has been for us too. Our current Picasso has a fixed panoramic roof but the fact that we can now open the Skoda one takes me back to the sunroofs of yesteryear :)

We went for the Scout mainly because it's we we saw and was drawn to when we looked in our local dealers.... we thought the other Koraq's looked a bit plain whereas the Scout is a bit more "exciting" :P But yes the Edition has more electronics whereas the Scout is more about styling (most of pointless of course). The Edition is about £1000 more new I think and as it stands we are maxxed out on budget now really, plus my wife doesn't like all leather seats (I can't see it makes much difference but anyway).

Yes definitely excited, not sure when it will be available but hopefully around two weeks.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post