19" Crater wheels & skinny rubber. Ride comfort comments please.

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I am considering buying an Edition which of course the above wheels. with Bridgestones.
My current SEL has the 18" standard fitment wheels with Michelins.

Edition has 19" Crater wheels.
I find my suspension verging on the 'too hard'.
COMMENTS URGENTLY REQUIRED FOR RIDE QUALITY OF 19" CRATERS WITH STANDARD 45 ASPECT 'RUBBER BAND' TYRES.
Would be much appreciated as my dealer is 40 mile round trip.

Reviewers have commented " The 19" inch Craters do nothing for the ride comfort".

Many thanks.
Colin.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)

wakev

Post by wakev »

Hi I have 19” on the sports line and I find the ride better than the yeti on 17”, have no complaints about the ride and comfort 😁
Karoq 2lt TDi sportsline.
Previous 4 yeti's over 10 years
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Thanks.
I drove it this afternoon and took it down some typically rubbish New Forest roads and although a bit worse than the 18 in 50 aspect on the SEL it's not worth worrying about. Pity about the Bridgestones. I would rather have the Michelin Premacy that I have currently. Hopefully the 4x4 will compensate for the (possibly) lesser road holding.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
wakev

Post by wakev »

Looking to change my Bridgestones to all seasons later in the year, can only find two makes in that size, hoping Goodyear or Michelin will do them soon.
Found the all seasons gave a better ride on the yeti so maybe even more of a improvement on the Karoq, not that I have a problem with the ride, still think it’s better than the yeti.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Thanks for that.
Well, I've paid my money and I am off shortly, to Meadens, to pickup my new toy :DI shall be dropping my debit card off at intensive care on the way :lol:

Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
wakev

Post by wakev »

Nice, i like them in the darker colours. enjoy your new toy and all the goody's it comes with :D
mikaroq

Post by mikaroq »

Missed this thread in time to advise, but I love the Edition and have no issue with the comfort at all. My only preference would be the 2ltr petrol which I know you can get in the Sportline now so must avoid temptation... :roll: :roll:
Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI DSG in Business Grey with towbar, auto light assist and heated front and rear seats.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Good drive back (20 miles) Traffic horrendous through Christchurch.
Reverse dipping mirror a bit of a s*d to set up.Discovered that if 'Synchronous adjustment' is ticked, they BOTH dip but NEITHER return to normal position.
So far 3.4 mpg less than the 2wd Karoq. 30.6 urban.
Lane keeping is a pathetic joke!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
The olde rigger

Post by The olde rigger »

I took the craters off and replaced them with 17s and cross climates far better comfort and control in the wet thats on a edition 4x4 Dsg great car
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I hope you have advised your Insurance Company?? It may also nullify your Skoda warranty. Beware!
Apparently the fitment of a non OE towbar can invalidate your insurance and how many of us have popped down to the nearest towbar fitter and had a Witter or similar fitted and not even considered telling the insurance?

Having owned my Edition for nearly a week now I must admit that I do not find the ride that much worse than the SEL on 18" and 50 aspect Michelins.

I'm certainly not bad enough to cough up for 4 new wheels and tyres, specially considering my first comments.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post