Front tyres feathering

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Mike sandy

Post by Mike sandy »

I noticed last week both front tyres are feathering on the outside edges, 3000 miles on the clock, Bridge stone tyres.
I contacted dealer and was told by workshop controller if it drove in a straight line it wasn't the tacking and to inflate the tyres to eco pressure of 2.7 bar all tyres which would help them to wear even and square.
The car is on 16 inch wheels , light loads is 2.2 bar, eco 2.5 and full loads 2.5 front 2.7 back.
When I got the car it bounced round corners pressures were at 2.7 bar , so I reduced to 2.25 bar , mostly only me in the car.
I took the car to my garage friend and he checked out the wheel tracking and alignment , front wheel toe in was correct at 1.75 degrees but front to back wheels weren't square .
He suggested as there was a problem to get rid of the toe in and square up front to back and to monitor the tyres.
After the adjustments the car is feeling easier to drive and the mpg has gone up.
I've also swapped the front tyres to opposite sides so the feathering is running in the opposite direction

IMG-20190226-WA0001.jpeg

Karoq 1.5 SE with tow bar
Dark blue metallic

FurnitureGirl

Post by FurnitureGirl »

The Karoq does seem to have a curious 'days gone by look' to the steering geometry.

When parked / driven on full lock the inside radius wheel has a very pronounced 'akimbo' appearance to it?

Easy to see how the outside edge would be scrubbed if doing many tight turns.....
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

It's all to do with camber and castor angles. What you do get is a an amazing turning circle albeit at the possible cost of shedding rubber!!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Mike sandy

Post by Mike sandy »

Hi Colin, is setting the front tyres to zero toe in, going to cause them to wear more on turning?
Dark blue metallic
FurnitureGirl

Post by FurnitureGirl »

I wouldn't know myself, it's a dark art the science of steering geometry adjustments, but, without a little 'toe-in' I'd suspect you'd lose the self centering effect?
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Self centreing is dependent on the caster angle* and the way (on modern cars) the power steering is designed.
Setting the wheels to zero toe in/out will result in toe OUT when the car is loaded. This will screw up the steering and road holding let alone causing feathering on the INSIDE edges of the tyres.
*e.g. It is far easier to ride a motor bike 'hands free' than a push bike as the caster angle on motor bikes is (generally) far greater that that of the average push bike.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Mike sandy

Post by Mike sandy »

Thank you for that answer Colin
The tyres I think are quite bad for the mileage I've done . My driving style hasn't changed and our previous car tyres wore well 23,000 miles or more each set , nearly 190,000 driven.
I'll keep an eye on all tyres and get settings tweaked again if they need it
Dark blue metallic

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post