Good Reviews of 1.5 engine!

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Thanks for that.
I certainly wasn't considering using my local dealer as they are part of a large multi franchise group of tossers. The dealer in Wincanton, I used 8 years ago to purchase a Nissan from was first class, so if I do go that way they is where I intend to start.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)

Rich1.5SELP

Post by Rich1.5SELP »

Rich1.5SELP wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:35 pm Had my Karoq for almost a week now. Have to say I was concerned after reading about the kangarooing issues. So far, touch wood, the car drives like a dream and my only issue is a 'simply clever' ice scraper in the fuel flap being inaccessible due to said fuel flap being frozen shut! Ironic.....
Update. The kangarooing has started. Not got 100 miles on it yet. Will be rejecting if dealer cannot sort.
Ford pop racer

Post by Ford pop racer »

No kangarooing with the dsg, I think it smooths it out. Just a bit jerky on one road I use with speed humps when cold. Put my foot down and it doesn't happen. I've taken to using the automatic handbrake as when using the paddle, it sometimes doesn't release until after the power is applied and it jerks forward. With the auto brake a little bit if throttle releases it and pulls away smoothly. I had said I wouldn't trust it but it lights on the dash when it's applied and I check that before taking my foot off the foot brake. Different driving style makes for a much smoother ride.
With stop start, moving the steering wheel slightly starts the engine
Karoq edition in black magic pearl Black leather, 1.5 petrol dsg.
I'm Paul
Rich1.5SELP

Post by Rich1.5SELP »

I was curious as to how and why this was happening so went for a local drive this afternoon. Mainly local residential roads. I can report the following:
If the car has fully stopped, pulling off in first doesn't seem to be an issue. However, imagine a give way junction. You have almost stopped but the car is doing below 5mph, you change into first to get away and then it happens. Zero power. So essentially I could make this happen. I thought to myself that I could live with this as I would just not 'make it happen'. Fast forward 30 minutes on way to supermarket with kids in car.... Approaching lights on red, thinking to myself, I hope they don't change to green before I've stopped. Sure enough I was front of the queue and had almost stopped, the lights changed to green so I changed into 1st gear. The result was a recovery truck almost rear ending me because it happened again. 100 metres down the road, the next red light changed earlier to green. I changed down to second and the same thing happened. Cue irate recovery driver giving me a piece of his mind, not quite a piece of his truck. No way is this acceptable. I've emailed dealer who is yet to respond. My next trip will be taking it back and rejecting on a quality, or lack of, issue. Not to mention potentially catastrophic consequences.
Ford pop racer

Post by Ford pop racer »

So doesn't seem related to 1st gear only.
Karoq edition in black magic pearl Black leather, 1.5 petrol dsg.
I'm Paul
TJJ

Post by TJJ »

Hi I have the 1.5 DSG (10,000 km) so can't comment on the Manual and was a bit unsure re DSGs but getting older so went with DSG. Have had no Kangarooing although We have lots of Kangaroos here. I found stop start terrible with no power while waiting to restart for quick take off. This hesitation is both annoying and can be dangerous. So I try to always turn it off when after starting the engine. I also found hesitation and sometimes no power (even when pushing hard on the gas) when pulling away from stop. I think in some cases this must be what leads to the Kangaroo. What I have found is that by leaving the Auto Hold on (and it remembers between starts unlike stop/start) that this hesitation goes away. Very smooth consistent take offs.
A very strong bonus is the car never rolls forward or back although you need enough brake pressure for the green P to appear on the dash. If you come to a gentle stop it could creep forward so just push a little harder on the brake when you after stopping. For the smoothest take offs I gently push the accelerator until you feel the brakes release then you can go for it without any hesitation or kangarooing (with stop start off of cause).
Good luck though with your 6sp manuals.
TJ
Karoq 1.5 DSG Oz Launch Ed. Candy White 19"
My other car's a Yeti

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post