Tyres ‘crabbing’

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
LancashireLad

Post by LancashireLad »

For some time now we have experienced an unnerving ‘crabbing’ or tyres skipping sideways whilst driving out from our driveway. It is most pronounced on full lock with cold tyres. Because it is a slow manoeuvre it doesn’t appear to cause any damage. Anybody else experienced this? We didn’t want to take the car back to the dealers if it would be wasting ours & their time.

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

What tyres are fitted? Karoqs, like all Skodas come with a plethora of different makes.
I have Michelins and must say I have never experienced the problem you describe.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I have Bridgestone Potenzas on mine and they are atrocious when pulling away, especially with any steering lock. In the wet they are almost frightening and I find myself looking for far bigger traffic gaps than ought to be necessary.

Once the car is rolling they seem fine and I have not experienced any lateral slip when driving above 1 or 2 miles an hour. Despite that the tyres inhibit my tendency to throw the car around with any gusto. I will change them for something else, probably without waiting for them to wear out, but don't yet know what.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I do wish Skoda would stick to one, decent, make of tyre for their cars.
I had HANKOOK on my Kodiaq and had no complaints, but to be honest I would always go for Michelin out of choice.
However, changing my cars between 12-18 months I never buy tyres, so have to put up with whatever cr@p Skoda fit.
Having just watched the 'Fully charged' full review of the E Niro I think think it may well be bye bye to Skoda for my next car.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Ford pop racer

Post by Ford pop racer »

Milfmog wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:30 am I have Bridgestone Potenzas on mine and they are atrocious when pulling away, especially with any steering lock. In the wet they are almost frightening and I find myself looking for far bigger traffic gaps than ought to be necessary.

Once the car is rolling they seem fine and I have not experienced any lateral slip when driving above 1 or 2 miles an hour. Despite that the tyres inhibit my tendency to throw the car around with any gusto. I will change them for something else, probably without waiting for them to wear out, but don't yet know what.

Have fun,

Ian.
same for me, occasionally I think about pulling out and hold back thinking it's going to sit there wheel spinning as it does when wet.
Karoq edition in black magic pearl Black leather, 1.5 petrol dsg.
I'm Paul
LancashireLad

Post by LancashireLad »

Thanks for all the replies. Our Karoq 1.5tsi dsg Edition in Moon White has Bridgestone Potenza tyres. An internet search reveals some Mercedes & Porsche owners have experienced this phenomenon. I do think it is tyre related rather than the car, it is encouraging to learn Colin hasn’t had a problem on Michelin tyres. Just like Ian & Paul we get wheelspin on anything less than perfect surface when moving off.
mikaroq

Post by mikaroq »

For info, we have Pirelli P7's on ours and also haven't experienced the same problem you describe, so sounds like it is tyre related
Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI DSG in Business Grey with towbar, auto light assist and heated front and rear seats.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Don't get me wrong, If I give it a really heavy right foot specially with some lock and a wet road it spins like a top. But ordinary driving the Michelins are fine.
All my Skodas have done it even the 1.2 DSGs. It's the price we have to pay for having such cracking petrol engines with (almost) diesel like torque.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

LancashireLad wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:46 am Thanks for all the replies. Our Karoq 1.5tsi dsg Edition in Moon White has Bridgestone Potenza tyres. An internet search reveals some Mercedes & Porsche owners have experienced this phenomenon. I do think it is tyre related rather than the car, it is encouraging to learn Colin hasn’t had a problem on Michelin tyres. Just like Ian & Paul we get wheelspin on anything less than perfect surface when moving off.
I believe the Mercedes fix for the GLC crabbing issue was to fit Michelin Cross Climates.

Tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
LancashireLad

Post by LancashireLad »

sanqhar wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:45 pm [quote=LancashireLad post_id=1903 time=<a href="tel:1548924371">1548924371</a> user_id=294]
Thanks for all the replies. Our Karoq 1.5tsi dsg Edition in Moon White has Bridgestone Potenza tyres. An internet search reveals some Mercedes & Porsche owners have experienced this phenomenon. I do think it is tyre related rather than the car, it is encouraging to learn Colin hasn’t had a problem on Michelin tyres. Just like Ian & Paul we get wheelspin on anything less than perfect surface when moving off.
I believe the Mercedes fix for the GLC crabbing issue was to fit Michelin Cross Climates.
Tom
[/quote]

Thanks Tom, seems like when the time comes to replace the tyres Michelin are looking favourites. Might be a while though before the Bridgestone wear out.
Geoff.