Good Reviews of 1.5 engine!

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
granty09

Post by granty09 »

I thought it would it be good for people, who have yet to take delivery of their Karoq (including myself), more specifically people with the 1.5 engine in both manual and DSG, to hear from people who haven't encountered any problems with the 'kangarooing' with their car. I haven't come across many, if any, posts regarding the engine not having any problems and I think it would just be good to hear from these Karoq owners as generally problems are shouted about more than non problems! Having recently purchased the SE L 1.5 DSG it would just be good to know that there are some owners who don't suffer the apparent fault. Maybe useful to specify whether you own a manual or DSG :) Thanks peeps!

mikaroq

Post by mikaroq »

I have the 1.5 DSG in edition trim. Although sometimes get slight hesitancy when engine is cold I have yet to experience full kangarooing. Personally think that the engine and gearbox combination is extremely good.
Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI DSG in Business Grey with towbar, auto light assist and heated front and rear seats.
Jezza3434

Post by Jezza3434 »

I've had my 1.5 TSI manual Skoda Karoq for a week. I love the design/drive except for the fact I keep 'stalling' at junctions and kangaroo hopping until I get up to about 20mph. Initial I though it was my driving position, but I am glad I found this forum.

I frequently have to pull away from very busy junctions. Several times now I have gone to pull away quickly, but the revs drop off and the car stops moving. Scary when an HGV is coming at you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is DANGEROUS and need fixing before I get killed. I now need to massively over rev the engine and slip the clutch to ensure I avoid the dead zone – this time of year this leads to the traction control kicking on as I screech off the line with a rapidly wearing out clutch.

Lots of reports on VW & Seat forums about the 1.5 TSI & the same issue.
Rich1.5SELP

Post by Rich1.5SELP »

Had my Karoq for almost a week now. Have to say I was concerned after reading about the kangarooing issues. So far, touch wood, the car drives like a dream and my only issue is a 'simply clever' ice scraper in the fuel flap being inaccessible due to said fuel flap being frozen shut! Ironic.....
Thomas2019

Post by Thomas2019 »

I think, the main problem of Kangarooging because of the auto hand brake & auto hold.

When feet takes off from the brake, hand brake ON and needs more acceleration to move on.

Have a say, Can we avoid kangarooing by change the driving style??

Thank You
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I DID suffer from SLIGHT kangarooing when I first got it in weather somewhat warmer than it is now.
The car has now covered some 1,200 miles and the slight problem I experienced has now disappeared completely.
In their acknowledgement of the problemVAG have nowhere (that I have seen) mentioned the DSG, only the manual.
I love the DSG and having had various forms of auto box, think it is without doubt the best around. I have had1 Fabia estate, 3 Yetis , a Kodiaq and now the Karoq. First 4 were all the 1.2 engine, The Kodiaq the 1.4 and the Karoq the 1.5.
They have all been superb (sorry!) and well matched, very powerful for their size, all very torquey and all pretty economical.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Loubaruch

Post by Loubaruch »

I have only owned our 1.5 manual SEL Karoq for a week so my comments may not be very valid.

Compared to the previous modern, a 1.6 Diesel Octavia, the torque available when starting is much less, as to be expected. Diesels have much more torque at low revs. Adapting my driving style to compensate I have not yet noticed any kangarooing problems.

www.bertram-hill.com
GeoffH

Post by GeoffH »

Jezza3434 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:58 pm I've had my 1.5 TSI manual Skoda Karoq for a week. I love the design/drive except for the fact I keep 'stalling' at junctions and kangaroo hopping until I get up to about 20mph. Initial I though it was my driving position, but I am glad I found this forum.

I frequently have to pull away from very busy junctions. Several times now I have gone to pull away quickly, but the revs drop off and the car stops moving. Scary when an HGV is coming at you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is DANGEROUS and need fixing before I get killed. I now need to massively over rev the engine and slip the clutch to ensure I avoid the dead zone – this time of year this leads to the traction control kicking on as I screech off the line with a rapidly wearing out clutch.

Lots of reports on VW & Seat forums about the 1.5 TSI & the same issue.
I have had similar issues at junctions, if you are just about stop moving, the auto stop start stops the engine just before you stop (no auto hold or parking brake operate, as you haven’t pushed on the brake pedal), you press the accelerator and nothing happens... if on a slight incline you roll backwards! Very dangerous.
The other problem I’ve had is the Karoq doesn’t like frost mornings. Start engine, engage DSG gear to move off.... push accelerator down,down,down and nothing at all. This sometimes happens at first start or if you stop before reaching 70degrees to get a paper or whatever, when you restart the same thing happens... no throttle response... then you go off with wheels spinning.
Skoda Assist came out and updated the software so I hope it has sorted it because if not the car will be returned to the dealership as it’s only a month old.
GeoffH
Karoq 1.5 TSi SEl DSG with Heated Screen, Heated Steering Wheel, ACC, Signpost Recognition, Lane Assist, Park Assist, Blind Spot Recognition.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I am getting increasingly worried about VAG/ Skoda, which makes me very sad having been a Skodanut for 9 years. they are just having too many problems with the new models.
I would certainly NEVER buy another new Skoda model until they iron out all the glitches.

I am very happy with my Karoq and actually prefer it to the the Kodiaq which I kept for 18 months, almost a record for me.

It will be interesting to see how far down Skoda slip in the next JD Power reliability survey.

I will be seriously considering the Kia E Niro for my next car. Far more standard useful tech for the same price as a top Karoq with no RFL and minimal fuel costs.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Breezy

Post by Breezy »

I wouldnt be too hasty Kodiak......this from the Kia owners forum.....

“Between KIA's Dealerships and their "escalated" customer service, I'd recommend purchasing another brand of vehicle.
Between lies from the selling service department, damage caused by the servicing dealership which after several attempts only got worse the more they tried, manufacture defects, mechanical reliability issues, and lack of doing the right thing by both the selling dealership and Kia...I am done.
Both Kia and the dealership play dumb when it comes to the Lemon Law and are going to make it difficult to hold them to it.”

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post