Heated Windscreen

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
John0103

Post by John0103 »

I have discovered that the windscreen heating can be automatically switched on if the Climatronic recognises that the windscreen could fog up. This would appear to be a very useful function. However, does switching the function on result in any excessive drain on battery or fuel?

John
Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG in Candy White with Beige Leather. Heated windscreen. Electric drivers seat. Power Boot. Auto light assist. Canton sound system. Took delivery 03/11/2018 very pleased so far although there is some jerkiness when cold.

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

the screen must have an impact on fuel consumption and battery charge. However, I suspect the former is too small to be worth worrying about and the latter will be managed by the car which disables functions if it detects too low a battery charge, hence the auto start/stop system not operating at times when the engine is cold and the battery has just had to wake the car up or if the seat and windscreen heaters are all running.

On a related note; does anyone know what the normal resting voltage range is for the battery used in the Karoq? I'm used to seeing battery voltages around 13 to 13.5v off load, but my car seems to sit around 12.3v and often drops below 12v overnight.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
Womanofkent

Post by Womanofkent »

Hi John
we've currently disabled that setting as we were having "problems" with the car thinking the heated windscreen was on and it wasn't, it can stop the stop start system working as it could be a drain on the battery, but it will switch off after 10 minutes automatically, the windscreen does get warm and you end up with a small section either side by the A pillars that does not demist, if you touch the windscreen and then the side windows you can notice the difference.

I suppose you could look at it that if the screen wasn't demisted then worrying about the battery charge could be the least of your problems :shock:

I do find when we turn on the front windscreen demist button left dial, not heated which is middle dial it puts fan on full and I find it very noisy and it is impossible to have a conversation. As the weather is getting more wintery it will be interesting to test these functions more and work out which is better.
Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG Edition, Quartz Grey, towbar, heated windscreen and nozzles since 1 Feb 2018 new to the Skoda brand
GeoffH

Post by GeoffH »

I had the heated windscreen on my Yeti and it was a no-brainer when ordering the Karoq, but this time I added heated steering wheel as well as the heated screen as I have a circulation problem in my hands and they get very cold... the heated steering wheel solves the problem.
One thing which some don’t realise is how useful the heated screen is, even in summer, if you have been walking in the rain ☔️ ! It certainly helps the demister keeping the screen clear.
GeoffH
Karoq 1.5 TSi SEl DSG with Heated Screen, Heated Steering Wheel, ACC, Signpost Recognition, Lane Assist, Park Assist, Blind Spot Recognition.
Ford pop racer

Post by Ford pop racer »

I have always found de misting the screen is far quicker using the air con with the heating, of course this is when the air con is manual. Air con supplies dehumidifier air. Heated air takes forever to clear the mist. Haven't had the screen mist up on the karoq yet so haven't found the best way to do it. My son in law had a Chevrolet that misted up terribly and was a problem to demist.

There is a screen button in the row of buttons to divert air manually to where you want it, like the dials on some cars do. This overrides the auto setting. I reckon I will go to that and turn the air con on.
Karoq edition in black magic pearl Black leather, 1.5 petrol dsg.
I'm Paul
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Paul,

The Karoq will decide to run the screen heater for you if it thinks it is required. There is no sign of this unless you check the Convenience Consumers and find your screen heater is on even though there is no light in the button. Similarly, if the system is set to auto and you select the screen setting for air distribution the AC will run irrespective of the temperature to dry the air.

Have fun (and remember that the car may think it is smarter than the humans that drive it),

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

Ford pop racer

Post by Ford pop racer »

Sounds like it is smarter,
I'm Paul
Ford pop racer

Post by Ford pop racer »

A heavy frost this morning so the first chance for me to try the heated screen. Pushed the button and air blasted out but cold and didn't do anything. I also had the heated seat on and wondered if they cannot be on together. Switched off seat and screen defrosted very fast.
I'm Paul
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Urm... If you pushed the button and cold air blasted out, you pushed the wrong button :( .

It sounds like you pushed the button for the cabin heating system to demist the windscreen instead of the heated windscreen button. The heated screen button is the top half of the centre pair, I suspect you pressed the lower half of the left-hand pair.

The heated screen, mirrors, seat, steering wheel and rear screen can all be operated together, although the car may disable some if the battery is struggling.

Hope that helps,

Ian.

Ford pop racer

Post by Ford pop racer »

Maybe yours is different to mine, I have the edition. Centre button is for syncing both left and right temperature controls and manual operation. Left button has front screen heating and rear screen heating and individual temperature control for left side.
Once I turned off the seat heater the windscreen defrosted quickly and the coolant temperature gauge hadn't moved at all, so not defrosted by the engine. It says in the handbook, controls vary depending on model.
I'm Paul

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post