Problem updating Navigation map

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
NickW

Post by NickW »

I'm trying to update the maps in the Columbus navigation system of my Skoda SEL 4x4.

I've followed the 'apparently simple' instructions on the update portal (http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB/Updates), but to no avail.

My map version is ECE1. So I've downloaded ECE 1 2019/2020, unpacked it and saved it on an SD card. When the new SD card I've formatted and then loaded with the new map is inserted in drive 1, it isn't recognised and the update function can't be accessed. I've also tried it in drive 2, while the old navigation SD card is in drive 1. That way I can see the update option, but it doesn't find the new data on the new SD card, so that that doesn't work either.

So I wonder if any of you have any suggestions about what else I should do to get this working as described on the portal?

Cheers

Nick
Nick W
Karoq 2.0 Diesel SEL 4x4 manual
Northumberland

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

To be honest, I have not bothered to try and update the maps. The software is not particularly good so if I really need GPs I tend to get my trusty old Garmin out. At least that does not take me off roads just to bring me back to them a little further on.

Hopefully, someone will be along soon who has done this and can advise you.

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
NickW

Post by NickW »

Thanks Ian,

Yes I too trust my TomTom implicitly, as it has free regular updates and it's speed camera warnings are helpful too. But as the inbuilt unit is there it might as well work as well as possible in my view. Certainly the simplified update process on the Skoda site glosses over some important points in the process. I've only had the Karok a week, so I haven't experienced any issues with breaks in navigation so far, but I'll keep a sense check on what it is doing just in case. Thanks for the tip.
Nick W
Northumberland
mikaroq

Post by mikaroq »

I did the last update using a USB drive rather than SD card. Download to USB took a while, but upload to car was under 30 minutes - just insert the USB in the slot next to the gearlever and then follow the maps update process... Haven't bothered with the latest update yet and will probably wait until the next one before I do it again - I'll generally use Google Maps via Android Auto anyway if going somewhere unfamiliar
Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI DSG in Business Grey with towbar, auto light assist and heated front and rear seats.
NickW

Post by NickW »

Thanks, I’ll try a USB stick and see if that works for me.
Nick W
Northumberland
NickW

Post by NickW »

I thought I'd post the outcome of my query for others that run into the same problem.

Despite what it says on the Skoda update website and many thwarted attempts, I could not get the Navigation system to open the new map files that were downloaded onto either an SD card or a USB memory stick.

Eventually I decided to transfer the new map files to the original Skoda card. This was because I figured there must be some 'additional data' on the Skoda card that enables access to the navigation system. But it would appear this data isn't downloaded. So these are the step I took:

Copied all the existing data files from the Skoda memory card onto a backup drive.
Slid the lock switch on the Skoda memory card to 'unlock', this allowed me to change the contents.
Opened the folder where I had downloaded the Skoda Zip file and had 'unpacked' the new data on my PC.
Simultaneously opened another window to show the 'maps' folder on the original Skoda Navigation SD card. This showed me two sub-folders (00 & EEC).
Deleted the content (as it was backed up already) in each of these two sub folders on the Skoda SD card.
Then I dragged the content of the same two sub-folders from the downloaded folder, to the same two folders on the original SD card.
When the transfer was complete I 'Ejected' the Skoda SD card, by 'right clicking' the card icon and selecting 'eject'. This ensures the PC has finished using the SD card before it is removed.
Removed the card from the PC and locked it. Then inserted it in the left hand slot of the car navigation system.
When Navigation was turned on the system automatically found the newly uploaded map files and the update was complete.

This was actually easy to do, once I understood what was required.
Nick W
Northumberland
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Thank you for sharing that, I reckon you may have saved a lot of grief for a lot of people.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
NickW

Post by NickW »

Very happy to, that what these forums are about, sharing and helping each other.

As they say, ‘it’s easy when you know how’!

Happy Christmas all.

Nick
Nick W
Northumberland
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Does this also work with an Imac?

Are the Mac procedures different?

Tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
Ford pop racer

Post by Ford pop racer »

I don't see the point of updating the sat nav, what could have changed that much to affect your journeys. In the past I've heard about people updating Tom toms and ending up with an earlier version than what they had.
Karoq edition in black magic pearl Black leather, 1.5 petrol dsg.
I'm Paul