1.5 SEL DEG Random emergency braking

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Petebog

Post by Petebog »

An update on this issue.
Since I reduced the sensitivity of the "Front Assist" system the problem has NOT reoccurred [ thankfully ].
I did contact Skoda UK, to inform them what had happened, they suggested I arrange with my nearest dealer to have the car checked.
This was done on Friday of last week.
As expected they couldn't find anything wrong, nor could they replicate the problem.
The technician said the on board computer had no fault codes showing so there was no problem. I got the impression the poor lad was out of his comfort zone.

I informed him firstly that I am an Engineer myself and fully understand how the system works, and secondly regardless of what the computer says there IS a problem.
I finished by asking if the front assist could be deactivated, as this would be my next port of call should it happen again. Hopefully I will not need to go down that path. He is going to look into it for me.

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Thank you for the update; it is good to know that you have not had a further problem although, like you, I like to know why something happened and is no longer happening. My suspicion is of a minor external cause, reflective rubbish blowing across the road or something equally trivial, coupled with too high a sensitivity setting. The trouble with events like these is that they are very hard to diagnose or replicate and if it was an external trigger all the onboard loggers would record is an activation, and you already know about that (the tooth marks on the steering wheel are a bit of a giveaway :D )

I have only had two warnings in the three months since I reduced the sensitivity of my front assist system, both of those were on right-hand bends in narrow lanes, so probably the system working as designed. I have never experienced the system actually applying the brakes for me.

Let us know if you learn anything more about this.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
eton@30900

Post by eton@30900 »

Hi Petebog, I have had exactly the same problem with mine; the first time, a right hand bend at 40 MPH and hard braking half way through the bend. Very scary and potentially dangerous; another brilliant idea with unintended consequences, caused by a high hedge in line with the kerb. I spoke to my dealer, and of course they denied having had anyone else mention it to them, and it cannot be permanently disconnected. My workaround as follows: set front assist warning to 'Late'. this setting is not affected by subsequent ignition turning off and on. When I know that I am going along the road with the problem bend, I change the warning, not front assist entirely, to 'Off'.
The next time that the ignition is tuned on, the setting reverts to'Late'. You can turn off the front assist, but this results in a yellow warning triangle appearing on the dash, which I do not like! This front assist is now being fitted to some LGV tractor units and causing all manner of problems with manoeuvring, I blame Brexit (Only joking!)
Jimbologo

Post by Jimbologo »

I have covered over 12,000 miles in many countries and have not experienced any problems with brake assist , rather it has saved me from collisions a number of times where I was slow or easy of the break so let's not get too dramatic about it . Of course it's frustrating for those with an issue but they sound like isolated incidents as opposed to a fleet wide issue .
Mr H

Post by Mr H »

To add to this issue I have had the lane control intervene when staring to access a motorway slip road. it thought I was drifting out of the lane when I was actually wanting to leave the lane. So have switched this off even though I have paid for it in the purchase price.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Mr H wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:27 am To add to this issue I have had the lane control intervene when staring to access a motorway slip road. it thought I was drifting out of the lane when I was actually wanting to leave the lane. So have switched this off even though I have paid for it in the purchase price.
Can we assume that you did not use your indicators? If you don't make it obvious to the car (as well as to other road users) that you are crossing a lane marker for a reason, why would it not tell you?

I frequently choose not to indicate when there is nobody to benefit from the indicator and simply have to recognise that the car may check to see that I am making a conscious lane change. That is how the system is designed to work.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
Martin1199

Post by Martin1199 »

It does say in the handbook do not activate on roads with corners. Which suggests that it only good for straight roads like motorways .
2968mogul

Post by 2968mogul »

I just had a sharp unexpected braking while cruising along straight at 40mph in roadworks. It only applied the brakes for less than half a second ish, just enough time to frighten me, my passenger and the bloke behind! The big red scary symbol appeared in the display with no prior warning.
I wasn't close to the car in front and nothing had changed to upset it.
The sun was fairly low, 1430 h in October and the lane was lined with cones. Maybe a random reflection had triggered it.
I shall inform my dealership and look into reducing the sensitivity of the Front Assist system.

I shall let you know of any further news, as no doubt you will too!
Karog 1.5TSi SEL DSG Quartz grey
Martin1199

Post by Martin1199 »

The sun should not make any difference but it will not work in rain or snow.
NickW

Post by NickW »

I too have had the scary red warning on my dash several times without any external reason why this should have happened. It always occurred on country lanes when turning gently around flowing right hand bends at around 30mph. I had several instances every week.

Since I have reduced the driver assistance setting setting to ‘late’ a month ago, this has stopped the warnings. So I assume the sensor was reacting to triggers caused by the hedgerow or road verge momentarily passing in front of the car.

Thanks for this tip, I’m much happier now I’ve changed the setting.
Nick W
Karoq 2.0 Diesel SEL 4x4 manual
Northumberland