Start/stop Bullsh*it?

The place to discuss everything else..
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

At last, someone who tells it like it is!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Bit of a rant, but I really can't disagree with him. Fortunately, the off button works and is now a routine part of my startup routine.

Thanks or sharing.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

The main advantage for people and stop start is not these who turn off the system for their own reasons, but for pedestrians and other city/town dwellers whose lives would be greatly improved if all cars had working start/stop systems. It is much better for a queue of stationary traffic to be sat with engines off, instead of them needlessly polluting the atmosphere. Some countries require you to turn off your engine when stationary and so the start/stop system works pretty well.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

gailjon wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:39 am The main advantage for people and stop start is not these who turn off the system for their own reasons, but for pedestrians and other city/town dwellers whose lives would be greatly improved if all cars had working start/stop systems. It is much better for a queue of stationary traffic to be sat with engines off, instead of them needlessly polluting the atmosphere. Some countries require you to turn off your engine when stationary and so the start/stop system works pretty well.
Agreed, and I suspect that it was legislation in Switzerland and elsewhere that requires engines to be stopped when a vehicle is stationary that has driven much of the increase in auto start/stop systems. My issue is that the karoq is a bit too keen to stop and a number of times I have found myself rolling slowly up to a roundabout with a dead engine and uncertain whether it would be safe to hit the gas and enter the traffic flow.

My standard commute is mostly small lanes and it gets irritating to constantly have the engine stop on me at every junction; hence the habit of killing the system as part of my startup routine unless I am on a longer journey.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
PDriver40

Post by PDriver40 »

While it may have a part to play in town centres, anywhere traffic is moving steadily but then being held up or stopped at junctions/roundabouts I S G is a royal pain in the ass and does not encourage smooth driving

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post