Oil top up

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
i-morley@sky.com

Post by i-morley@sky.com »

Good evening all would appreciate some advice had my Karoq for 5 months from new and this week a warning light came on with a massage please check your oil level.did this oil level was low up to first notch on dipstick called in at local dealer to purchase small bottle of oil and he told me only put a quarter of it in so the level on the dipstick is in between the two notches did this .my question is is it normal for the oil to be topped up at such a early stage.only done 8000 miles many thanks Ian

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

It is quite normal for a new engine to use more oil while it is being run in, and the owner's handbook gives some good advice on how to treat it for the first thousand miles.

I always buy a small bottle of oil and keep it in the boot when I buy a new car, (the low viscosity oil used in my 2.0TSI Sportline was impossible to buy at Halfords but my local VW dealer had some at a reasonable price.)

My car didn't need a top up before its first service, but I only covered 3,000 odd miles in my first year! As you have done 8,000 in 5 months (so around 19,000 a year?) I would suggest your higher mileage makes a top up quite acceptable, especially if you are making many high speed trips on motorways. I would also hope that your car is set to the variable servicing regime as otherwise you would be needing a service every 6 months or so :)

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
i-morley@sky.com

Post by i-morley@sky.com »

Many thanks for your reply Chris think I must take time out to read the owner’s handbook in more depth did find your answer very helpful thanks Ian
Demport

Post by Demport »

My latest Edition has also just needed a top-up at a similar time - 4 months / 7,800 miles.
The previous Edition 4x4 hadn't needed any oil between services.
22MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG - 71 registered

Replaced 19MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG 4x4 - 69 registered