BST/GMT clocks change - or not as the case may be!

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
24 VRT

Post by 24 VRT »

Used the Karoq for the first time after the clocks changed and was surprised to see the time was still on summertime. Even after a 20 min drive it didn't change. Went to settings menu and it's set to get time by GPS, but below that there was a BST tick box. Unticked it and clocks are back to GMT. I don't call that simply clever - my other cars adjust automatically - and surely GPS knows the difference between BST and GMT? This is on a MIB3 Columbus system. Maybe I expect too much or am just becoming a grumpy old man! :|

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

You can't be any grumpier than I am :lol:
It is quite simple. You have the choice. As you found out if you alter the settings it WILL do it automatically.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

I presume the GPS setting will adjust the time when you drive to France. But thanks to lockdown, haven't been able to prove this yet :)

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Pilchard

Post by Pilchard »

Yes is the quick answer. When I am in the Channel Tunnel travelling to France I switch the time zone to GMT+1 and retain the DST tick box. When returning from France back to GMT (irrespective of whether we are in summer time).
If we ever stop using daylight saving time we’ll be out of step with Europe and we’ll have to tick or untick the DST box too.
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

Pilchard wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:26 am Yes is the quick answer. When I am in the Channel Tunnel travelling to France I switch the time zone to GMT+1 and retain the DST tick box. When returning from France back to GMT (irrespective of whether we are in summer time).
If we ever stop using daylight saving time we’ll be out of step with Europe and we’ll have to tick or untick the DST box too.
I would actually prefer double summer time in summer ans BST in winer. Extra hour of ligh in the evening and essentially matching weteren Europe.
karoqkar

Post by karoqkar »

I am probably as "grumpy" as anybody but I must also be "dummer" than most. I have read the above posts and I am no wiser or better educated as to what way to leave the settings for automatic changeover of GMT (winter time UK) to GMT+1 (summer time UK). OR is it automatic at all ?? is it just the action of fiddling with the settings makes the clock time change ??. To me that would be a manual change not automatic if that is required.
I have a 2021 Karoq and I had to "fiddle" with the BST tick box and the time changed (i thought just as a result of me fiddling). I would need to go and look at the car settings again to see what way I left it (either ticked or unticked) but the time is displaying correctly for now. I don't know what will happen at the end of March 2022. ??
I am living in the UK and will never ever be driving to France so just curious what are the correct settings to get BST to GMT changeover automatic when the time changes in UK.
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

As far as I am aware, the clock in the Karoq does not change from GMT to BST or back automatically, and needs manual intervention just like many of the watches and clocks in my house.

The GPS setting seems to provided to adjust the clock as you drive across different time zones.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
24 VRT

Post by 24 VRT »

I have set it to use GPS as I believe that helps keep the clock accurate i.e. not fast or slow. BUT to move from summertime to wintertime you have to tick/untick the BST box at the appropriate time of year. I don't think that's 'clever' and isn't something I have to do in any of my other cars. And in the house most timepieces update automatically (they use what used to be known as the atomic clock) with only wind up watches needing manual change.
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

24 VRT wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:03 am I have set it to use GPS as I believe that helps keep the clock accurate i.e. not fast or slow. BUT to move from summertime to wintertime you have to tick/untick the BST box at the appropriate time of year. I don't think that's 'clever' and isn't something I have to do in any of my other cars. And in the house most timepieces update automatically (they use what used to be known as the atomic clock) with only wind up watches needing manual change.
None of our cars have ever changed automatically, including a 2015 and a 2019 car. My daughter 'thinks' her car did change but not immediately. It would appear that Skodas aren't the only ones!
karoqkar

Post by karoqkar »

I checked the settings I left in the car now at the time change at start Nov21..... Clock Time Source is GPS,... Summer (DST) ..Box not Ticked... Yes it says DST not BST...Timezone GMT + 0h.
So I presume that means now that we are in Winter time the DST box is not ticked and when in Winter time it is GMT + 0h and Having the time controlled by GPS hopefully means the time should stay accurate...????

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post