E5 v E10 fuel

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Since new I've run my Karoq (1.5 manual) on higher octane fuel, normally Tesco 99, the price difference is about 0.7p per mile. However last time I filled up I accidentily used the new E5 'normal' unleaded. Using the car since it feels like its lost a bit of power and requires more use of the accelerator to make progress' especially when pulling away from traffic lights. I can't tell at the moment if fuel economy has changed, my long term is around 45mpg at the moment.

Anyone notice a difference when changing fuel grades?

Andy
Currently drive Yeti 170. Karoq Edition in Petrol Blue on order.

Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

I assume it's a typo when you say you filled with E5 'normal' unleaded. If you are comparing 98 octane E5 with 95 octane E10 yoy are very likely to notice the difference. Fuel consumtion will probably be higher with the 95 octane, but it is probably the octane rating, not the ethanol content that makes the difference. I suppose that it depends what is important, the driving experience or the consumption. That is a choice as well, do you want miles per gallon or miles per £.

I've never used higher octane fuel; I've always found the ordinary unleaded fine.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I agree with your last comment.
During the shortage I was running on fumes so decided to treat the car to Shell V power instead of Tesco E10.What a waste of money! Cost me £67 for 10 gals. Made no difference whatsoever to either performance or consumption. (1.5 DSG Sportline)
p.s. I a Shell pensioner! :lol:
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
jjg70

Post by jjg70 »

I've tried the higher octane fuel a couple of times now and noticed no difference whatsoever. I've had the car long enough to be able to notice even a slight difference in performance, so I'm pretty sure the lower octane is the best to use.
I always had diesels previously and regularly filled up with the more expensive "super" diesel and the difference was always noticeable, particularly on a long journey.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

If It says "Use 95 RON" on the filler flap, the engine is designed to do just that. Why waste money on VPower or any other 99RON?
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I have not noticed any difference with "cooking performance" engines, but on the tuned Volvo's I used to run the higher octane fuel produced around 10% improvement in fuel consumption as well as feeling far better. I have not noticed any difference between E5 and E10 in the Karoq.

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post