Disabling key fob

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Nervous new owner

Post by Nervous new owner »

I heard today about how you can deactivate the key fob overnight on a Toyota to prevent the key from sending a signal to the car. It is apparently a way to help prevent car theft. I wondered if anyone knows if this is a thing we can do with our skodas.
I also heard that those Faraday pouches only last a few months before they wear out. Something to be aware of. Also, do people use a steering wheel lock? We used one on a Mercedes a few years ago and it still got stolen, so I've always been a bit ambivalent about them.

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

For Karoqs built in the last couple of years, the KESSY keyfob 'goes to sleep' when it has not been moved for 5 to 15 minutes (the reported time varies). So once you have placed it on a hook or in a drawer, the signal will turn off after a short period and can no longer be detected by any would-be thief.

You can always test a faraday pouch by trying to open the car with the key still inside its pouch.

You can also disable the KESSY feature when you lock the car by pressing the 'lock' button on the key, and quickly touching the 'lock'dimple on the car handle - details given in the owner's manual.

Sales of steering wheel locks have taken off again in recent years due to the advent of keyless locking systems, and the best ones seem effective (see tests in AutoExpress etc) but I feel they are bulky to store and inconvenient to use. I am happy to rely on the auto-sleep feature in the KESSY key, and the ability to disable the KESSY system in the car when parking it overnight in suspect areas.

Chris

PS: For older Karoqs, I think you may be able to buy one of the new keys from a dealer... at a price!
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
mic44

Post by mic44 »

I tested my 71 edition kessy by putting fob on roof and opening door , close door and lock by handle , left for 10 minutes tried door still closed , moved fob door back to opening .