Drumming Noise

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Scottos

Post by Scottos »

Had my 1.5sel manual a few days. Maybe I was spoiled by previously having a 1.4tsi Tiguan but I’m somewhat disappointed so far. Having had my Tiguan for going on 4 years and not liking the changes they made to the latest one, I did my homework reading reviews about what a great car the Karoq was. Test drove one and liked it enough to order one then wait 4 months for delivery.
I have found the engine nowhere near as flexible or responsive as the 1.4 in the Tiguan, even though that’s a bigger heavier car.
The most disappointing thing I’ve found is the road noise. Constant booming noise from suspension or tyres are really annoying on most road surfaces and ruining the driving experience.
Hope I can get you used to it, as I’m stuck with it now .

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Some thoughts...

I had a 2014 1.4TSI Golf SV before my Karoq, and that was a lovely engine too, although it was probably the lower powered version than yours. But the problem is both engines were from before VAG started concentrating so much on reducing emissions and fuel consumption. A few years ago, as your research will probably confirm. the 1.5TSI was tweaked TOO far, and they had to make some software changes to improve its tractability. The new ones are said to be better, but I know my daughter still dislikes the was her 1.5TSI Passat performs. As it runs in, hopefully it will improve and you'll get used to it, but to be honest that was one of the factors pushing me to the 2.0TSI engine instead.

Others have commented on the suspension and tyre noise, with suggestions that Skoda may not be allowed to fit as much noise-absorption as is included in the more 'upmarket' VW cars. But solutions like adding it yourself has also been discussed and seems very expensive. As the new tyres run in, they can also become quieter, so hopefully things will improve for you.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

My Bridgestone Turanzas were the biggest disappointment. They were also noisy and harsh on a BMW X1 I test drove.

Not so sure about tyres getting quieter as they wear, it depends on too many factors. Many get noisier.

Inadequate sound deadening can also be a weight issue affecting emissions figures. Anyone remember when you couldn't order a Yeti with a spare wheel AND a sunroof.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
Scottos

Post by Scottos »

Well its been a month now and the road noise is driving me mad. I read and watched just about every review on the Karoq that were available. None of them mentioned the road noise. Could it just be mine thats the problem.
Does anyone else on here find it intrusive. I can see me getting rid before long, dread driving it now.
Pragmatix55

Post by Pragmatix55 »

I can't say I find it that noisy and I run with the seats out all the time, try lowering the tyre pressures, it may help, mine came inflated at the highest recommended dropped it to the lowest it made the ride a bit better, I'm on 18s are you on 19's the can be harsher.
Must be mad not enough money to be eccentric
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

My Sportline has 45 section 19 inch Bridgstone Dueller tyres, which do seem especially noisy on some road surfaces. But generally they don't seem particularly bad considering the extra width compared with my previous Golf SV.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I have had a 1.4 DSG Kodiaq (17) and three Karoqs, all 1.5DSG.
I think the 1.5 is far superior to the 1.4. For a start it has ACT which makes it very economical around town. 45 mpg today on a 4 mile urban drive. I know the Karoq is a bit lighter than the Kodiaq, but I find the 1.5 far more responsive through the gears.
As far as tyre/road noise is concerned, I cannot say I have noticed on any of my 3 Karoqs including the ridiculous 19 inch 40 aspect tyres on my current Sportline. I changed to 16 inch 60 aspect all seasons, purely for a more acceptable ride.
May I suggest that all who suffer from this phenomenon, check their tyre pressures for a start. Garages have been known, on new cars, to forget to decrease the tyre pressure from the 50psi used for storage/ transporting.
I know that some tyres are much noisier than others, but I'm afraid I know not which are the main culprits.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Dtpeebles

Post by Dtpeebles »

Hi Folks,

I have just bought a brand new 2022 Karoq 1.5 tsi SEL DSG and I "HATE" .... the drumming / booming noise in the cabin when driving it and it's actually making me feel ill !

The wheels are as shown and the tyres on it are Michelin Primacy 3 215/50 R18.

Having spent £30k on it, I can't afford to lose money on it so has anyone come up with any suggestions or solutions recently over and above what is on this thread ?

I contacted the Dealer salesperson who said that they had never heard of this issue but I may well push back with them as I did not detect this on the car I test drove.

As a new car they had got in for stock, I couldn't drive this one before buying it.

Has anyone confirmed whether it is the wheels or the tyres ?

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave

IMG_1330[2].JPG

superstardeejay

Post by superstardeejay »

tyres make all the difference. I have had a VW tiguan, a Seat Ateca and 2 karoqs and I can't say road noise was ever an issue but they all came with the factory fitted tyres. Michelin tend to have a reputation around here for noisy tyres, I suspect something to do with the hard wearing nature of the rubber (was told by 2 ex employees of Michelin the factory of which was 1/2 a mile from where I used to work). I would ask for a test drive at your local dealer and make a note of what tyres are fitted! My current karoq has the factory Bridgestones.
El Turf

Post by El Turf »

Dtpeebles wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:33 pm Hi Folks,

I have just bought a brand new 2022 Karoq 1.5 tsi SEL DSG and I "HATE" .... the drumming / booming noise in the cabin when driving it and it's actually making me feel ill !

The wheels are as shown and the tyres on it are Michelin Primacy 3 215/50 R18.

Having spent £30k on it, I can't afford to lose money on it so has anyone come up with any suggestions or solutions recently over and above what is on this thread ?

I contacted the Dealer salesperson who said that they had never heard of this issue but I may well push back with them as I did not detect this on the car I test drove.

As a new car they had got in for stock, I couldn't drive this one before buying it.

Has anyone confirmed whether it is the wheels or the tyres ?

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave
Hi Dave. I got mine on Tuesday - same issue. I tested a slightly older model they had in and it had no such issues, waited 4 months for my brand new one and it was literally "BOOM" "BOOM" "BOOM" from 40 mph upwards. I checked the tyres, they were 15 pounds above recommended pressure so I lowered them, but it has not made a difference. I'm on the autistic spectrum and the sound is literally driving me insane.

I am going to take it back and get it sorted. It's not what I expected from the vehicle. I have seen reviews that mention how quiet it is. This is not a quiet car.

I should add that it is running Bridgestones, which are not the quietest. I suspect that due to supplier issues that they have had to use less sound proofing in the boot and under the wheel arches.

Let you all know how it goes,

El Turf.
Karoq SEL 2023
Abart 124 Spider (it's not an MX5!)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post