USB-C Query

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Japseroony

Post by Japseroony »

Her in doors has just taken delivery of a 21 plate SE-L and I see there is no connection for an ipod in the glove box (she had one in the glove box on the Seat Leon) so I presume a, the USB-C are permanently live i.e. power is not via the ignition and b, the ipod will not link to the music system other than via bluetooth?

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

I've got the old iPod Classic, but that needed a special adapter to link to my previous Golfs, and won't link to the Karoq as it is pre-Bluetooth.

My solution was to transfer my music library to a USB-C memory stick (something like this: https://www.mymemory.co.uk/mymemory-256 ... 0mb-s.html will fit under the sliding panel over the 12 volt socket and USB-C sockets. The infotainment system will read the music files when the ignition is off, so presumably they're permanently live.

You can also play music from a phone via Bluetooth I think, though I've not tried it as I've no need to store music files on a phone.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Japseroony

Post by Japseroony »

Hi Chris

Many thanks for the reply and will give this a go but do you need to alter the way the music is copied somehow?

Russell.
Pragmatix55

Post by Pragmatix55 »

If your iPod is an old one it won't connect to the usb as the car is USB2 and is not compatible with the older USB1. The USB's are switched with the ignition they stay live for a few minutes after switching off
Must be mad not enough money to be eccentric
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Japseroony wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:27 am Hi Chris

Many thanks for the reply and will give this a go but do you need to alter the way the music is copied somehow?

Russell.
I just copy the music files from my PC onto a USB memory stick (the ones I quoted above have a USB-C connector for the car on one end, and the older USB connector for the PC on the other end. According to my downloaded manual (and presumably the digital manual now offered instead) the car will accept all the common music file types.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

Pragmatix55 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:05 am If your iPod is an old one it won't connect to the usb as the car is USB2 and is not compatible with the older USB1. The USB's are switched with the ignition they stay live for a few minutes after switching off
My understanding was that usb is backwards compatible, so I assumed that a usb 1 iPod would work in a usb 2 or usb 3 socket.
Pragmatix55

Post by Pragmatix55 »

Routemaster1 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:34 am
Pragmatix55 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:05 am If your iPod is an old one it won't connect to the usb as the car is USB2 and is not compatible with the older USB1. The USB's are switched with the ignition they stay live for a few minutes after switching off
My understanding was that usb is backwards compatible, so I assumed that a usb 1 iPod would work in a usb 2 or usb 3 socket.
It's not the connector but the car system
Must be mad not enough money to be eccentric
Japseroony

Post by Japseroony »

Sorted I think, bought a MyMemory USB-C stick and it works in my Defender and tried it in the Karoq and it seems to work so bought a second one - downloaded music from itunes on my PC and although some artwork is missing it seems to play everything so thank you everyone for your assistance ;)