E10 Petrol

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

To clarify, I've been using the E5 Premium petrol (98/99 RON) until Friday. Some owners report that this gives better fuel consumption than the standard unleaded (whether E10 or not) to balance the extra cost, so I thought I'd test out the theory.

The suggestion that E10 unleaded gives poorer fuel consumption than E5 95RON unleaded is a later issue.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

E10 has made absolutely NO difference to either consumption or performance on my 1.5 DSG Sportline.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Mike sandy

Post by Mike sandy »

I've used a full tank of E5 and a full tank E10 with my 1.5 tsi manual and the MPG was virtually the same and no difference in performance , the only difference was the cost
Karoq 1.5 SE with tow bar
Dark blue metallic
NascarMike

Post by NascarMike »

After using E10 petrol and also Tesco Momentum 99, I noticed that my fuel consumption is definitely worse, so I decided to revert back to Shell V Power, what a positive difference. Fuel consumption has definitely increased from approx 38 mpg to 45 mpg over the same route in similar weather conditions. :D
Also read about Esso Synergy 99+ petrol which apparently has NO ethanol, but will definitely give it a go.
My thinking is, if a substance has 10% less of something than surely it can't be as good if it had 100% of it. Therefore it can't be as good. Thus this petrol cannot produce the same amount of power and mpg from it and we as motorists are being charged the same price!!!! :o
Motorists being ripped off again, I think, in the pursuit of us being forced to sell our petrol and diesel cars to electric.
What will any government do with the loss of revenue from tax on petrol and diesel?
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I track my mileage and fuel consumption and have done for years. I can't say that I have seen any difference between E5 and E10 fuel in the Karoq. On the tweaked Volvos (two T5s and a V70R all north of 300BHP) the difference between 2 star and Shell V-power 4 star was massive in terms of how cleanly the engines ran and the mileage I achieved (more than 15% different). The Yeti diesel I had before the Karoq did not benefit at all from the use of V-power diesel. However, I have not tried running the Karoq on V-power to see if it behaves differently, maybe I'll try a few tanks and see.
NascarMike wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:04 pm What will any government do with the loss of revenue from tax on petrol and diesel?
Tax something else! Road pricing looks to be an obvious candidate but 500%VAT on tyres or lifting road fund duty by some huge multiple are options. The only thing I (or probably anybody else) know for sure is that a way of replacing the money will be found and it is likely to be aimed at the motorist.

Have fun (until the eco-warriors find a way to price us all off the roads),

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
benettonb1

Post by benettonb1 »

I've noticed a big difference in mpg between the two. Gone from 430miles a tank on E5 to 390 on E10.
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

benettonb1 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:58 am I've noticed a big difference in mpg between the two. Gone from 430miles a tank on E5 to 390 on E10.
To clarify, is this between standard E10 and standard E5, or standard E10 and high octane E5. If it is the latter it is the octane rating making the difference.
NascarMike

Post by NascarMike »

Has anyone used Esso Synergy 99+ with no ethanol? and if so the results with this petrol
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

From the Esso Synergy website. Ii appears that Synergy 99 is not necessarily ethanol free, it depends on where you get it.

'Our Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular petrol – and includes molecules whose job it is to reduce the friction in your engine helping the moving parts work more efficiently.*

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation.'
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

benettonb1 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:58 am I've noticed a big difference in mpg between the two. Gone from 430miles a tank on E5 to 390 on E10.
Just less than 1 mile per litre than. :shock:
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)