SD card

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Franst

Post by Franst »

I’ve been looking at how to update Columbus with an SD card and YouTube videos seem to refer to the Skoda SD card which you remove from the SD slot in the glove compartment. I have a 2020 Edition Karoq. Should I have had a SD card in this slot when I bought it last year or maybe I should have purchased one? I think perhaps a good quality SD card may work, but not always.

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

The SD card in the glove box unit is the map programme for the sat nav.
Your car should have come with one.
Did you buy the car new? Or used?
Whichever, if you bought it from a Skoda dealer it should have been supplied with the SD card in place. Or at least in it's case in the car.
My dealer did forget once to leave it in a new Karoq that I bought. he posted me one with no argument and an apology.
Take it up with the dealer straight away and don't stand any nonsense.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Franst

Post by Franst »

Thanks we will do that
Demport

Post by Demport »

Mine is a 2019 MY Edition - so things may be different.
Having found the instructions contradictory, this has worked for me:
-The original SD card remains in SD slot 1.
-You download the update to your PC's hard drive.
-Extract the file to a second, formatted SD card (incidentally 32GB is too small for the latest update).
-Second SD card doesn't have to be 'Skoda' - I use Nextbase 64GB U3
-Insert the second SD card into SD2, whilst leaving the original in SD1.
-Start the engine and follow instructions in infotainment.
Good luck!
22MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG - 71 registered

Replaced 19MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG 4x4 - 69 registered
Franst

Post by Franst »

Mine is a 2020 Edition. Today I managed to download and save the update from the portal on a 32 GB card and then inserted it into the SD 1 slot and followed the instructions. It took a while but seemed to successfully install the new update. I have also emailed the garage to ask if we should have had a card in the SD slot. Thanks for your replies.
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

I thought the Columbus system held all its navigation data on an internal hard drive? So you only need an SD card to transfer the updated data from a computer to the Columbus hard disk, and once that's completed you can use the SD port to play music etc?

Whereas the pre-MY21 Amundsen held all its navigation data on a removable SD card, which needed to be left in place.
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

The one I mentioned above came from the dealer in a case similar to a DVD case.
I just popped it int slot1 and it worked without doing anything else. (2018 SEL)
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Franst

Post by Franst »

CJJE wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:36 am I thought the Columbus system held all its navigation data on an internal hard drive? So you only need an SD card to transfer the updated data from a computer to the Columbus hard disk, and once that's completed you can use the SD port to play music etc?

Whereas the pre-MY21 Amundsen held all its navigation data on a removable SD card, which needed to be left in place.
Well that would make sense otherwise navigation wouldn’t work without the SD card in the slot. Maybe they just don’t supply a SD card any more as standard as there’s not much point when a £6.50 SD card works.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

You can buy a Skoda SD sat nav card here. MICH cheaper that Skoda !
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post