Power supply

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
karoqkar
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:57 pm

Post by karoqkar » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:36 pm

Have you a towbar fitted....you could wire fridge in boot from the towbar socket.??....OR
You could wire a voltage sensing relay same as you would be use to wire towbar/trailer socket for caravan fridge/power.
All could be wired to the plug that is plugged into the 12v socket in boot. The feed to this socket is direct feed from car battery so voltage varies from approx 12.5 volt engine not running to 13.5v - 14.5v with engine running. The sensing relay would sense this and switch power on to fridge only when car engine is running.
No need to alter any car wiring at all.... :D :D ;)

Routemaster1
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:16 am
Location: Dorset

Post by Routemaster1 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:11 pm

karoqkar wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:36 pm
Have you a towbar fitted....you could wire fridge in boot from the towbar socket.??....OR
You could wire a voltage sensing relay same as you would be use to wire towbar/trailer socket for caravan fridge/power.
All could be wired to the plug that is plugged into the 12v socket in boot. The feed to this socket is direct feed from car battery so voltage varies from approx 12.5 volt engine not running to 13.5v - 14.5v with engine running. The sensing relay would sense this and switch power on to fridge only when car engine is running.
No need to alter any car wiring at all.... :D :D ;)
I haven't got a towbar, in fact I haven't yet got the car. It will probably be 3 months before it's delivered. I rarely use the fridge, I'm just not particularly happy with the prospec of anything I happen to leave plugged in draining the battery.

karoqkar
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:57 pm

Post by karoqkar » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:45 pm

Yes, OK and the fridge will run the battery down quickly. On 12v power they are generally not thermostatically controlled.
So the switch will need to be automatic either Voltage sensing, or wired to the ignition/ECU, or on a timer, etc

Demport
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:43 pm
Location: South Gloucestershire

Post by Demport » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:41 pm

Routemaster1 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:14 pm
Demport wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:56 pm
Patr wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:36 pm
I have the latest Edition. It has 2 x USB C sockets under the sliding wifi charge/12v socket tray in front of the gear selector, 12v socket in the rear passenger console and 12v socket in the boot. The 12v sockets are live so no fridge in the boot!

I also have a USB C socket in the rear view mirror housing which I use for my rearview mirror dashcam and GPS module..
Things must have moved on from my MY19 Edition.
I've had a fridge connected in the boot since new, 22 months ago.
No problem with the battery.
From what I gather, the 12V sockets used to be switched and are now permanently live. On my previous car where I had the issue with the fridge, the earlier cars were permanently live to the boot (can't remember whether the front one was) and on late cars the boot socket was switched. Even the front one is an issue as I run a dashcam, which will need to go in one of the (hopefully) 2 usb c sockets, so it switches off when the 'ignition' is off, and my phone for (possibly) Google Maps in the second one. I do tend to charge a camera and an Apeman camera, and I suspect that they will not be an issue in an unswitched socket. But a fridge is a big problem.
I don't suppose anyone has a fix for a fridge in the boot?
My MY21 Edition arrives next week and I'd like to continue using the fridge.
22MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG - 71 registered

Replaced 19MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG 4x4 - 69 registered

User avatar
Milfmog
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:35 am
Location: South Buckinghamshire

Post by Milfmog » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:12 pm

I have seen people recommend a product that plugs in between the socket and the fridge (or whatever) that monitors battery voltage and switches the fridge off if the battery voltage drops to a critical level. Trouble is, I can't remember what it was called. Try asking at Briskoda or on the YetiOwnersClub forum, I am sure somebody will be able to help you.

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

Demport
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:43 pm
Location: South Gloucestershire

Post by Demport » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:51 pm

Milfmog wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:12 pm
I have seen people recommend a product that plugs in between the socket and the fridge (or whatever) that monitors battery voltage and switches the fridge off if the battery voltage drops to a critical level. Trouble is, I can't remember what it was called. Try asking at Briskoda or on the YetiOwnersClub forum, I am sure somebody will be able to help you.

Ian.
Thanks for help, Ian.
I'll report back if successful.
22MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG - 71 registered

Replaced 19MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG 4x4 - 69 registered

Demport
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:43 pm
Location: South Gloucestershire

Post by Demport » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:51 pm

Milfmog wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:12 pm
I have seen people recommend a product that plugs in between the socket and the fridge (or whatever) that monitors battery voltage and switches the fridge off if the battery voltage drops to a critical level. Trouble is, I can't remember what it was called. Try asking at Briskoda or on the YetiOwnersClub forum, I am sure somebody will be able to help you.

Ian.
The product that Ian suggested appears to be a Dometic CoolPower M50U Battery Monitor for Universal 12v Applications.
I've ordered one so will give it a go.
22MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG - 71 registered

Replaced 19MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG 4x4 - 69 registered

User avatar
Milfmog
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:35 am
Location: South Buckinghamshire

Post by Milfmog » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:17 pm

Demport wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:51 pm
The product that Ian suggested appears to be a Dometic CoolPower M50U Battery Monitor for Universal 12v Applications.
I've ordered one so will give it a go.
Yes, that's the gizmo (or possibly a different branded alternative). The only thing that might be an issue is that the resting voltage of my Karoq battery is fairly low, typically only just above 12v and I don't know what the switch-off voltage of this device is. It may turn your cold box off sooner than necessary if it is set up for a typical lead-acid car battery rather than the AGM batteries used in cars with start-stop functionality. At least that will prevent it from draining your battery, even if it does not allow the cooling to go on as long as it might.

I will be interested to hear how you get on with it.


Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

Demport
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:43 pm
Location: South Gloucestershire

Post by Demport » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:13 am

Milfmog wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:17 pm
Demport wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:51 pm
The product that Ian suggested appears to be a Dometic CoolPower M50U Battery Monitor for Universal 12v Applications.
I've ordered one so will give it a go.
Yes, that's the gizmo (or possibly a different branded alternative). The only thing that might be an issue is that the resting voltage of my Karoq battery is fairly low, typically only just above 12v and I don't know what the switch-off voltage of this device is. It may turn your cold box off sooner than necessary if it is set up for a typical lead-acid car battery rather than the AGM batteries used in cars with start-stop functionality. At least that will prevent it from draining your battery, even if it does not allow the cooling to go on as long as it might.

I will be interested to hear how you get on with it.


Ian.
The device works well. Used for a couple of long trips, with battery voltage meter installed for peace of mind.
Dometic claims a cut-off voltage of 11.6v and cut-in 12.8v.
No noticeable difference in cooler performance with previous Karoq - with ignition controlled 12v socket.
Just under £20 from Amazon.
Hope this helps others.
22MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG - 71 registered

Replaced 19MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG 4x4 - 69 registered

Post Reply