Stop & Start

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

I have just joined and have read through some of the threads. Stop/start seems to be a common subject with many people hating it and wishing it could be permanently disabled. I have had 3 cars from the same manufacturer, all manuals, 2 different size diesels and a petrol (and currently a petrol loan car). I have never driven an automatic with stop/start, and, having just ordered a Karoq 1.5 Edition manual, how the system compares to my current experience.

On one car, the engine will stop when neutral is selected from 12 mph down. For it to work, you must select neutral by depressing the clutch to change gear. If you just slip the gear lever to neutral whilst the clutch is engaged the engine does not stop. Whilst stationary you can stop the engine by pressing and releasing the clutch. The car does not restart by moving the steering wheel. If conditions allow for a safe test, the car will accelerate downhill to ~12mph before the engine will restart. If stopped, opening any door will restart the engine.

The other three cars are slightly different. In these you actually have to be stationary for the engine to stop. Any movement forwards will instantly start the engine, as does any movement of the steering wheel.
So, can I expect the Karoq to be like the first system, or is it like the second?

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Mine is an automatic, and the stop/start can be activated when I press the brake pedal if the car has determined there is enough battery power to restart the engine. I find that a very gentle braking action will not trigger it, while a firmer press will. The engine then restarts if you wiggle the steering wheel or flick the accelerator.

You can download an owner's manual for the current Karoq at https://manual.skoda-auto.com/210/en-gb/Models
(Ignore the VIN entry box and scroll down to choose a Karoq with the '2020/11' production period, 'Others' market, and 'English' language.) As yours will be a 2021/07 car there may be some minor changes but probably only a few new optional extras or deleted minor features.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
24 VRT

Post by 24 VRT »

We have the manual, and the S/S kills the engine once you come to a stop, gearbox is in neutral and the clutch released - there are other criteria to determine if S/S will work such as state of the battery, so it doesn't always trigger. Depressing the clutch then restarts the engine.
Its actually our first S/S car and I don't have any problem living with it - some complain of issues when trying to make rapid egress from junctions which are delayed by the S/S having to restart the engine, but they must be trying for Formula 1 starts! I've never experienced any delays - the engine restarts as soon as the clutch is depressed and the engine is running by the time I've put the car into gear.
Pragmatix55

Post by Pragmatix55 »

I'm on a DSG and I find the stop start works very well not at all intrusive, once stationary it stops and as soon as I touch the accelerator it's straight into life bearly a delay so much better on an auto than a manual.
Must be mad not enough money to be eccentric
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

Pragmatix55 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:19 am I'm on a DSG and I find the stop start works very well not at all intrusive, once stationary it stops and as soon as I touch the accelerator it's straight into life bearly a delay so much better on an auto than a manual.
Surely it shouldn't be an issue on a manual, as if I'm at a junction, I usually wait in 1st gear, and the engine doesn't stop. (well, that's how it works on our current 2 cars. I wonde whether some people think there is an issue when there really isn't one.
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Pragmatix55 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:19 am I'm on a DSG and I find the stop start works very well not at all intrusive, once stationary it stops and as soon as I touch the accelerator it's straight into life bearly a delay so much better on an auto than a manual.
Just twitching the steering wheel starts the engine. You can 'beat' the accelerator start for that extra quick getaway.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
TJJ

Post by TJJ »

hi, just permanently disable it. It has No point. Is only there so Skoda can have better fuel economy figures on test. Real life no effect on economy! Its annoying, you here going on and off etc and dangerous as if you don't realise the engine is off (music up loud) take off is hesitant and seconds really matter.
Just get a OBD2 dongle and adjust Stop start disabled as well as tweaking other setting, eg have the dials sweep on start, change the auto indicator blinks from 3 to 4, 5 2 etc. A OBD2 like carister is only 15pound and you just use a app on your ph. Google it, its easy and gone is S/S and it even shows you error codes etc.
TJ
Karoq 1.5 DSG Oz Launch Ed. Candy White 19"
My other car's a Yeti
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

On newer Karoqs (in the UK at least) you can no longer make these mods as the software modules are locked. I've been able to use an obdeleven to turn the Soundaktor fake engine noise off, and show the heating fan speed when it's on auto, but it couldn't alter the flick wiper settings or disable the Stop/Start. And of course the needle sweep won't work on the digital instrument panel.

More info at https://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/1033 ... 020-models

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post