Skoda Karoq Fuel Filler Flap FYI

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Mekanoise

Post by Mekanoise »

Good afternoon

Took my Karoq in for service and while chatting mentioned the pain in the neck filler flap. Service chap said this has been recognised by Skoda and they have replaced the part the flap connects to. Mine now done, so hope it works :D , blooming embarrassing pressing the damn thing for ages and someone with a magic finger touches it once and it works!!!

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Well done!
Now we all know what to do. Thanks.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Anoldoap

Post by Anoldoap »

Thank you for the fuel cap information. Just after I took delivery of my Karoq 1.5 Se L in November 2019 I decided to fill it up but embarrassingly I found I couldn't open the filler cap so turned round and went straight back to the dealer. They gave me a good demonstration of how they too couldn't open it. Eventually we had an engineer come along who did get it open and showed the rest of us how to do it. It didn't always work but hit it in the right place with the correct amount a force seemed to be the answer. I know of no other manufacturer who would sell a car or indeed any other commodity with such a simply uncorrected fault. So its good to see they've recognised the problem.
Mike sandy

Post by Mike sandy »

Hi my filler flap opening took a few tries , when its open the black pin stuck out from the car can be lubricated with some thin oil and worked in and out to spread the oil down into the sleeve , there is a twist action as it moves in and out.
It opens a lot easier now.
If it moves oil it , if it doesn't paint it :-)
Karoq 1.5 SE with tow bar
Dark blue metallic
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

And if it glares at you salute it!!
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
BabsieWales

Post by BabsieWales »

I am saddened to know this is still an issue. My first Karoq edition bought in 2018 had the same problem. The only way to fix it was by having the pin replaced which thanfully solved the problem. I have just bought a new Kaoq edition and have fingers crossed not to have the same issue.
Mel5454

Post by Mel5454 »

Having just had the same "will not open" issue with the fuel flap on my 68 plate 1.5tsi, I approached my main dealer and was met with - not heard of this, bring it in and we'll investigate.
Realising the £££ involved, I decided to investigate myself. Eventually it opened - lots of banging and swearing, and I simply cut the two lugs off the end of the operating plunger.
I anticipated having to adapt the flap using something to keep it shut, ie elastic bands or something similar, but the flap itself has quite a strong return spring mechanism, so it does not seem to need any additional assistance.
Since the fuel system has an "anti=syphon" built in, I am quite happy that I have cured the problem, and do not need to have the fuel flap locked closed.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Once again Skoda Dealer (and or SUK) claim to have "Not heard of that". In my 13 year experience with SUK, it is amazing how many common faults they "Have never heard of". T.G. My Skoda dealer is wonderful.
i wonder on which planet some of them live.
Perhaps they just cannot be 'arsed' (as my son would say) to bother with the paperwork of a claim.

Mine jammed on my 20 reg Edition after I had agreed a P/X with the dealer.
The AA chap said he had come across it before!
The car went to the dealer in exchange and the dealer repaired it under warranty before selling it on.

It is a not uncommon fault where the solenoid corrodes and jams the rod. The only way in is with a flat bladed screwdriver wrapped in a rag to protect the surrounding paintwork. This snaps the loop through which the rod goes.

For some reason, the 'Simply clever' bods in Skoda seem to think it is clever to have the rod rotate to lock the flap.

Honda (for example, on their models with solenoid locked flaps) simply have rod that moves in and out with no twisting motion. I have never heard of one giving any problems!

Perhaps any others who suffer this problem & with bolshy dealers might like to email a link to this article to their dealers and tell them they don't know what they are talking about!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
fsec

Post by fsec »

Mel5454 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:35 am
I anticipated having to adapt the flap using something to keep it shut, ie elastic bands or something similar, but the flap itself has quite a strong return spring mechanism, so it does not seem to need any additional assistance.
Since the fuel system has an "anti=syphon" built in, I am quite happy that I have cured the problem, and do not need to have the fuel flap locked closed.
I would be careful there. Yobs might not be able to siphon but they could pour sand, sugar or something 'just for a bit of a lugh'
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Fsec,
I presume you are having a larf?
Does this happen often in your area??????
If so I should move! :lol:
I have NEVER heard of this happening 'for a laugh' possibly for a vendetta.
What about all the cars with screw petrol caps with non locking flaps?
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post